Compro Australia VideoMate E800
- It can power-up a PC to initiate a recording; includes composite, S-Video and Component inputs; suitable for slimline cases
- Time-shift not enabled by default, ComproDTV 3 software is hard to use in full-screen mode, the 'straight-to-disc' feature is only available when the bundled Ulead software is also installed
Software imperfections aside, the E800 is a functional card with good hybrid functionality, and it can boot up your PC to initiate a recording.
Price$ 151.80 (AUD)
The E800 is Compro's PCI Express x1-based hybrid TV tuner. It's easy to install, has plenty of features, but its software still has many of the same quirks we've seen before.
For anyone who's building a modern desktop PC or media centre, the E800 is a good alternative to an external USB-based digital TV tuner. It's a half-height card, which means it will fit into a slimline chassis (a half-height bracket is provided in the package) and it has the ability to switch on your PC to initiate a recording.
It's a single tuner device that will allow you to watch analogue or digital TV signals (but not both simultaneously) through its ComproDTV 3 software. This software is easy enough to use, but it's not perfect.
When in full-screen mode, the menu panel is difficult to use, with the mouse pointer disappearing from sight as you move it across the menu, or if you try to use the right-click menu. It's much easier to use the remote control while the program is in full-screen mode, and Compro supplies an infrared remote with a receiver that plugs into the card's bracket.
Recording programs is easy; you can either set-up a scheduled recording, or invoke a manual one, and a little drop-down arrow on the menu panel allows you to record either the current sub-channel you are watching, or the entire transport stream. This will be handy in the unlikely event that a broadcaster's HD and SD channels have programs you want to watch in the same timeslot. Furthermore, there's a picture-by-picture feature that displays all the sub-channels of a particular channel. This may be handy if broadcasters choose to air a sporting event on one of their channels, and different angles or statistics on their other sub-channels.
Time-shifting is supported by ComproDTV 3, but it's not enabled by default. Each time you start the program you have to remember to enable it. The default buffer is 10 minutes, but this can be changed in the program's settings. While time-shifting is enabled, you won't be able to change channels.
As for the card's performance, it took three scans before it could find all the channels in the Sydney metropolitan area. First it found everything except SBS, then it found SBS but lost ABC; the third time was a charm as it found all available channels. There's a relatively easy-to-use 'favourites' list, so you can weed out all the channels you'll never watch, and channel changes take about one second.
Picture quality was good for the most part, but a little pale on our high-definition Samsung 275T monitor. High-definition and standard-definition channels played smoothly and clearly and they consumed approximately 18 and 8 per cent of the Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 CPU-based PC's processing power, respectively. The signal was strong enough so that we didn't experience too many stutters, but when we did, it didn't affect the audio and video synchronisation.
If you listen to the radio, you'll appreciate the built-in FM tuner. Its interface is clunky, the frequency changes are very slow and it's not easy to access presets, but you'll be able to record your favourite programs directly as MP3 files.
For grabbing video off a VCR, the card is equipped with composite and S-Video input facilities and if you decide to leave your VCR connected permanently, you can switch sources at the touch of a button to watch videos whenever you want. It even has a Component input facility, so you can connect a high-definition console, for example.
One feature that we couldn't initially find when using the latest version of DTV 3 is 'straight-to-disc'. It only showed up once we installed the bundled Ulead DVD MovieFactory software. This feature allows digital TV to be recorded directly to DVD, which is useful if you want to watch something through your DVD player and TV, away from your PC.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Toys for Boys
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Lego Mindstorms EV3
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Bose SoundLink Micro
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Xbox One X
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Google Home Mini review: a welcome addition to the smart speaker family.
- 4 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 5 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
Latest News Articles
- BenQ unveils a pair of new ergonomic eSports mice
- Crucial Launches Highest Density 128GB DDR4 LRDIMM Server Memory
- The Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Will Now Resist the Elements
- Logitech Unveils MX ERGO, their first trackball in nearly a decade
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- PC World 2017 Editors' Choice Awards Nomineees Announced
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSenior Technology Specialist (Networks)Other
- FTApplication Support AnalystOther
- FTAgile Delivery Project ManagerOther
- FTAutomation DeveloperOther
- FTData SpecialistACT
- CCJunior to Mid Level Tester - BrisbaneACT
- CCDynamics CRM Functional Consultant - BrisbaneVIC
- FTSenior Biz Talk DeveloperACT
- FTNetwork Services ManagerOther
- FTFinance Analyst (Part-time)Other
- TPProject CoordinatorACT
- FTSolution DesignerOther
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- FTJunior CRM Support AnalystOther
- FTProgram CoordinatorACT
- FTData Centre / Hosting Lead - $800 per dayOther
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCExstream DeveloperNSW
- FTField ConsultantOther
- CCJava LeadWA
- FTSenior .NET Developer - Back EndOther
- CCLead Pega Systems ArchitectVIC
- FTSoftware Engineer (Java)SA
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW