Compro Australia VideoMate U3
- Doesn't need batteries to run, Small and lightweight, Convenience factor, Ease of use and setup
- Digital can be a hit and miss affair, No remote control, No DVD burning software
If you own a notebook, the VideoMate U3 is an extremely intuitive product that is very easy to use.
Price$ 139.00 (AUD)
Here is that rarest of beasts: a product that does something useful and does it well - and for an eminently reasonable price tag. If you spend a lot of time on the road with your laptop, the ability to watch TV on it may be a lifesaver. And best of all, the VideoMate U3 from Compro is a cinch to set up and use. The chunky, lightweight USB stick is about the length of a credit card, but half as wide. It comes with a tiny but powerful portable aerial, an aerial adapter and a small length of cable, so that you don't have to plug the card directly into a hard-to-reach socket. It derives its power from your PC.
Once you've installed the software, boot with the stick and an aerial attached and the program sets about hunting for TV channels. Any free-to-air digital feed is fair game - so you can make the most of your precious time by checking the FTSE scores on CNN and watching Working Lunch (and keeping track of Dancing On Ice, of course).
When we tested the VideoMate U3 in a notorious TV-signal blackspot, the results were surprisingly good. Of course, being digital, it's a hit-and-miss affair - many channels worked perfectly, some simply wouldn't appear - but with a decent signal the quality is excellent. Compro recommends using a more powerful aerial than the one provided, but no one carries a spare aerial and the bundled one's fine. It's small enough to tack to the wall, so you won't have to send the kids up on the roof.
As with all good digital TV sets you can pause and timeshift TV. Recording is a doddle - you simply hit the correct key and the software neatly deposits an Mpeg2 file on your hard disk.
We know what we like and we like the VideoMate U3. Whether you want entertainment on your laptop or digital TV without a set-top box (or both), the VideoMate is a winner. Unlike the Terratec Cinergy Hybrid it has no remote control or DVD-burning software. It does, however, cost half as much - so which one you buy may depend on who is picking up the tab...
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
Latest News Articles
- Traditional Aussie PC market defies global downward trend again
- Logitech say new mouse features the best optical sensor ever designed for wireless gaming
- Razer unveil new Basilisk mouse built for FPS gaming
- HyperX Unveil Heavy-Duty Gaming Keyboard
- NVIDIA Supercharges Rendering Performance with AI
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Huawei Y5 (2017) Review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- TPSenior Consultant - ServiceNowNSW
- FTCloud/Infrastructure SpecialistVIC
- FTSAED CoordinatorOther
- FTSenior Security ConsultantNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - InfrastructureVIC
- FTCRM Business Analysis Senior ConsultantOther
- FTLand Access Coordinator / Lead - TelecommunicationsOther
- CCTechnical Specialist O365NSW
- FTJava Application developer - Insurance BackgroundQLD
- FTSenior Change Manager / Director, IT & Business TransformationOther
- FTAgile Scrum Master/Iteration Manager - Banking and InsuranceVIC
- FTPractice Manager - SecurityVIC
- CCProject MangerNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - SuperannuationOther
- FTLevel 3 Support Engineer (Tibco, Java, J2ee, Jboss)Other
- CCWintel Engineer - BrisbaneVIC
- CC.Net DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperQLD
- TPSenior Project OfficerNSW
- FTSecurity ConsultantOther
- FTCustomer Service RepresentativeOther
- CCMitel Contact Centre SpecialistWA
- FTSignalling EngineerOther
- FTETL & SQL Data AnalystOther