Contour+ video camera
Contour+ review: a video camera for extreme sports junkies
- Excellent video quality in daylight, good in low light
- Very sturdy and light construction
- Smartphone app control can be finicky
- Internal microphone is not built for speed
If you're an action junkie, keeping track of your exploits -- whether it's for posterity or for bragging purposes -- should be high on your list of priorities. The Contour+ makes that task easy; it's a very convenient, very simple and very sturdy 'fire and forget' solution for recording video where weight and size are important factors. Apple or Android smartphone control is a great setup tool that comes at no extra cost, and about the only design flaw is the poor internal microphone. The Contour+ is pricey, but it's an investment we think is worth making for a really, really cool piece of tech.
Price$ 699.00 (AUD)
You can also use the app to see a live view of what the Contour+ is aimed at — it’s a very reduced resolution and only runs at about 5 frames per second, but it’s more than good enough for adjusting the camera’s orientation and making sure the horizon is straight. However, the app occasionally crashed in our testing, and the camera settings didn’t work until we updated the Contour+’s firmware to the latest version. With a little more work we think the Contour+’s app integration could be an excellent and unmissable feature. In its current state it’s still invaluable, but reliability isn’t 100%.
You can’t watch the Contour+ over Bluetooth while it’s filming, but you can output live 1080p video through the camera’s HDMI port. This is a feature that will probably only be used by broadcasters or videographers at something like the X Games, but it’s good to see it included.
The Contour+ has a built-in GPS, which can be enabled or disabled using the Contour app. It takes a couple of minutes to find a lock when you’re in a built-up area, but after that keeps a track of your location every second or so and saves it embedded with the video file. Recording location, elevation and speed, it can be viewed when you’re playing back video from the Contour+ in Contour’s Storyteller app for Windows and Mac OS X. It’s not pin-point accurate, since there’s always a degree of error in GPS tracking, but it provides a pretty close approximation and works well in sync with Google Maps to track your actions.
Contour+: Video and image quality, setup, and performance
We stuck the Contour+ on top of a car and drove around to test the camera in different lighting conditions — midday, dusk, night and during rain. Yes, yes, we know — this isn’t as extreme as the Contour+ is intended for, but we’re busy people and we’re no good at sport. Anyway, if you speed the video up you can pretend we’re race car drivers. We used the Contour app over Bluetooth to adjust the lens’ rotation and tweak video settings. We did miss the horizon alignment lasers that other Contour cameras have built in, but these aren’t a big deal.
The Contour+ is able to record 1080p video in excellent quality given its diminutive size. 720p mode is less detailed as you’d expect, but the benefits of the wider field of view are immediately evident. We think the 1080p setting was just fine for our on-car testing, but the wider 170 degree angle would come in handy on top of a bike helmet or surfboard.
The 1080p mode records in either 25 or 30 frames per second, while the 720p mode includes these as well as a 50/60fps mode. There’s also a 4:3 ratio 960p resolution (25/30fps), and a time-lapse still capture mode that takes 5MP photos with a variety of intervals.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
Latest News Articles
- Sony make shooting in HDR easy with new 4K camcorders
- Sony announces Australian availability for new waterproof RX0 action-camera
- Microsoft's Beam becomes Mixer, adds four person split-screen streaming to battle Twitch
- Microsoft's Story Remix uses machine learning and mixed reality to make your movies awesome
- New IoT malware targets 100,000 IP cameras via known flaw
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTTechnical Lead - PHP DeveloperQLD
- FTLead Land Access Coordinator - UrgentOther
- CCSenior Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- FTAgile Business Analyst, MarketingOther
- FTSalesforce Platform LeadOther
- FTLead PHP DeveloperNSW
- CCIOS DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- FTHogan Technical ConsultantOther
- CCMS Project Server DevelopersNSW
- TPChange Delivery Officer / PMOQLD
- CCGraph Database Specialist - TelcoVIC
- TPProject Manager - Information ManagementVIC
- FTSenior Unica DeveloperOther
- FTSecurity Consultant - Security SDMNSW
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerOther
- FTPrincipal Project ManagerOther
- FTBI Service Operations LeadOther
- TPBA Enterprise ProgramVIC
- FTSenior Unica DeveloperOther
- FTSAED CoordinatorOther
- FT.Net Developer - Multiple positions availableSA
- FTSAP ISU Device management-FunctionalVIC
- CCWindows & Linux Systems Engineer - BrisbaneQLD