Corel VideoStudio Pro X2
A great video editor for those with underpowered PCs.
- Good for underpowered PCs
- Playback issues
Corel VideoStudio Pro X2 has a slightly better range of features than Adobe's Premiere Elements 7, and VideoStudio's tools are easier to see than Elements'. Elements still has a few unique features that we like — for example, better timeline features. We'd say VideoStudio X2 is the better choice if you have an underpowered PC, and Elements gets the nod for those with fast PCs.
Price$ 249.95 (AUD)
Corel VideoStudio Pro X2 is a great video editor for those with underpowered PCs. And our review shows it's a pretty good choice for those with fast systems, too.
Video is moving to high definition faster than a dog to a doughnut. So which do you buy first: a new HD camcorder, or a powerful new computer on which to edit its footage? If you choose the camcorder, Corel's VideoStudio Pro X2 video editing application may be able to help you stave off the PC purchase for a while.
Corel VideoStudio Pro X2's new trick? Its updated Smart Proxy editing feature lets you create a lower-resolution version of a project that you can use to make edits, apply effects, and create menus, and when you're satisfied with how it looks, you tell the application to pull in the high-resolution source files to create the finished movie. Of course, when you do that with an underpowered PC, you'll have to take a walk while the PC struggles to process the huge files, but it's still a nice compromise.
While the image quality isn't great in Smart Proxy mode, you can see well enough to apply effects; in addition, you can scrub back and forth in the timeline with no lag, and files play quickly and smoothly. In other words, you can use Corel VideoStudio Pro X2 just as easily as you could with standard-definition video (and perhaps even more easily, because the proxy-mode footage is at a lower resolution than most standard-resolution footage). Even in the middle of a project, you can easily enable and disable the Smart Proxy mode by clicking a button on the timeline.
Corel says that it increased the Smart Proxy feature's speed by 300 percent over the preceding VideoStudio 11.5. Furthermore, Corel VideoStudio Pro X2 is supposed to be optimised for quad-core CPUs and to take advantage of newer Intel CPUs that recognise SSE4 instructions, thereby providing a big performance boost on systems using them.
However, on our test system — a Dell XPS M1730 laptop with a 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme X9000 CPU with 2GB of RAM and a 400GB RAID array — high-resolution AVCHD clips played back very slowly, at perhaps just one or two frames per second, and they looked jaggy even with Smart Proxy disabled. On a more powerful system, a workstation with dual quad-core Intel Xeon processors, the performance improved markedly in both Smart Proxy and default modes. Corel says that it is working to ensure smooth high-definition playback in future updates to the application.
In spite of these playback issues, finished projects looked fine. Corel VideoStudio Pro X2 imports HDV, AVCHD, BDMV (files from Blu-ray camcorders, but such devices haven't yet arrived in this country), and it exports to BDAV, BDMV, and AVCHD formats. For comparison, Adobe's Premiere Elements 7 outputs only to BDAV and BDMV. (Corel says that 25 percent of its customers already import and output to AVCHD.)
It's also now easier to upload directly to YouTube; the feature was in VideoStudio 11.5, but Corel VideoStudio Pro X2 requires fewer steps. You can create iPod- and mobile phone-friendly files too, although you have to take care of getting them onto those devices yourself.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Trend Micro Strengthens its Security Offerings in Trend Micro Security
- Here's the Apple macOS High Sierra release date
- Adobe and Microsoft expand productivity partnership
- Huawei CEO Talks Up AI Ambitions At IFA
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Moto E4:
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTUX Designer | Mobile App | Initial 6 Month ContractOther
- FTData Migration LeadOther
- FTJunior-Mid level Technical Software Support/Project CoordinatorQLD
- FTBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCPortfolio ManagerNSW
- FTHadoop DeveloperACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCOracle Identity & Access Management AdministratorNSW
- FTDeputy Chief Engineer - Defence Systems - IT Services - Sydney BasedNSW
- FTSenior Project CoordinatorSA
- TPSenior Change ManagerNSW
- TPBusiness Process Flow AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Software Developer - Java/J2EE/Micro services URGENTOther
- FTChange Manager OR Senior Change AnalystOther
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTEnterprise Architect - NetworkingOther
- CCNon-Functional Test ConsultantNSW
- FTJAVA DeveloperOther
- CCIntegration Specialist-Tibco & MulesoftNSW
- FTBI DeveloperQLD
- TPQlik DeveloperQLD
- FTSAP BW/BI DeveloperVIC
- CCCerner Senior Applications Specialist - Brisbane basedVIC