High-speed storage for hi-res photos and videos on the go!
Creative SBS A500
- Good value, powerful bass, relatively versatile sound range
- Lack of definition in upper treble ranges, bass is occasionally muddy
An affordable 5.1 speaker set that delivers respectable quality. This isn't a high quality audio product, but its relatively low price makes it ideal for casual users.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
Creative's SBS A500 is a 5.1 PC speaker system. At a very affordable price and with respectable quality, it represents great value, however users looking for a more detailed or extensive sound range may be better served by a higher end product.
Sound quality on the A500 could best be described as relatively good - that is, considering its price point, the audio is actually quite respectable for a 5.1 system. Bass is definitely dominant, with a large sub capable of producing deep and rumbling low notes, although there is a slight amount of muddiness at times. The mid range is well represented; it's reasonably clear without overpowering the other ranges. Treble is one of its weak points though, with the higher frequencies generally being quite flat and lacking in finer detail.
Volume is quite powerful, and pleasingly there's very little distortion until the highest levels. A knob on the back of the sub controls the bass volume, but this can be somewhat inconvenient to adjust depending on where the sub is placed. It's advisable to find a comfortable bass setting before positioning the subwoofer, rather than adjust it on the fly. Additionally, a wired volume and on/off switch is attached to the sub, and able to be placed on the desk for convenient volume adjustments.
The surround effect is good, and although the individual sound card and PC used with the speakers will generally have more of an influence on this, we found it quite easy to achieve a pleasant surround environment with minimal effort. Our major qualm with the speakers and their positioning is the design. All five speakers are identical in design, with the exception of cable length on the rear pair. The vertical nature means that positioning the centre speaker can be difficult if your monitor is too close to the desk.
As with the Creative A300, the A500 speakers are a good mix of quality and affordability. They're certainly not high-end speakers, and audio enthusiasts will most likely be better served by other products. That being said, for users looking for an affordable 5.1 set of PC speakers suitable for a variety of tasks, including gaming, movies and music, these speakers are well worth checking out.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G review: Speaking the language of overkill
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Book S review: Sleek hardware saddled by compromised a software experience
- 3 Jabra Elite 75t true wireless earbuds review: Proof you don't have to be the best to be great
- 4 HP Spectre x360 13: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Oppo Reno2 Z review: A feature-filled, mid-tier masterpiece
Latest News Articles
- Intel's 'Comet Lake' H-Series chips promise to power the next generation of mobile content creation hardware
- Nvidia enhance Max Q mobile graphics specifications
- Razer's new Viper Mini mouse is even smaller than its namesake
- Intel overhaul 5G infrastructure portfolio
- Inevitably, the Cyberpunk-themed Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti has arrived
PCW Evaluation Team
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
Microsoft Office continues to make a student’s life that little bit easier by offering reliable, easy to use, time-saving functionality, while continuing to develop new features that further enhance what is already a formidable collection of applications
- Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G review: Speaking the language of overkill
- HP Spectre x360 13: Full, in-depth review
- Oppo Reno2 Z review
- Everything you need to know about Smart TVs
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?