Creative ZEN MX portable media player
It would have been nice if Creative had tried a little harder to reinvent the ZEN, but this is still a great portable media player
- More storage, easy navigation, great included headphones
- It hasn’t really evolved much from the previous model, its interface is slower than its predecessor's
The Creative ZEN MX is a good media player with generous features, and its software doesn’t attempt to stage a coup against other media applications on your PC.
Price$ 163.59 (AUD)
The Creative ZEN team has applied a very Apple-esque formula with its portable flash-based media player: re-releasing it without making many obvious changes bar increased storage. This is the major difference between the Creative ZEN MX and previous ZEN MP3 players.
The Creative ZEN MX portable media player is far better than an iPod Nano: it gives you more options and its software doesn’t end up taking over your entire computer by attempting to become the "alpha male" media application. We like the fact that you can just drag and drop files from your computer to the ZEN MX.
The Creative ZEN MX has 8GB of internal memory as well as an SD card slot, which means you have more space for music, pictures and movies. It looks almost identical to its predecessor, the Creative ZEN, but there are a few subtle differences. The power button has moved on to the front of the media player; it has also shed its sliding lock switch and uses a lock button instead.
The interface is slightly slow, but not enough to be particularly bothersome. It is easy to navigate and the buttons on the player are simple to understand.
Given the size of the device (5.5cm wide and just over 8cm long) it has a generously sized screen of 2.5in. Pictures are crisp and clear and text is easy to read. The scroll-through menu is very straightforward; once you’ve had a play around with it you pretty much know how it all works.
Not only is the ZEN MX aesthetically appealing and great to listen to, it also boasts some juicy features. We like how customisable the device is, with user-adjustable settings such as the comprehensive equaliser, bass boost, and smart volume functions. Having an FM radio just sweetens the deal even more. You can also change the player's wallpaper, use a shortcut button to play an 'album of the day', view a calendar and organiser (which can be synced with the supplied software), view photos, and even record voice memos using the built-in microphone. Of course, you get all the usual play modes such as repeat, random and repeat all. The ZEN MX ships with a pair of good quality ear buds.
It would have been nice if Creative had tried a little harder to reinvent the ZEN. Nevertheless, this is a great portable media player and we enjoyed reviewing it.
Join the newsletter!
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Toys for Boys
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Bose SoundLink Micro
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Xbox One X
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTCyber Security ArchitectOther
- CCIntegration AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Procurement Manager- Government BackgroundOther
- TPPMO LeadVIC
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTSoftware EngineerSA
- FTAccount Management/Customer Service - MULTIPLE ROLESSA
- FTTeam and Project Administrator - SalesforceQLD
- FTRecords AnalystOther
- FTClient Delivery DirectorACT
- FTProgress 8.3 DeveloperOther
- FTBusiness Intelligence Analyst (Report Analyst)Other
- FTSystems/Business AnalystACT
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE DeveloperACT
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- FTSnr Information Security Consultant - IT Services - North Ryde areaNSW
- TPSenior Business Analyst - HealthQLD
- FTSAP Payroll SpecialistOther
- CCSenior Siebel DeveloperACT
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE DeveloperVIC
- TPContracting Specialist - Procurement AssociateNSW
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE Developer (Brisbane)Other
- FTPortfolio Lead. PMONSW