Creative Labs i-Trigue L3800
- Looks great, Excellent subwoofer, Remote control, Compatibility with Creative audio devices
- Lacking in mid range
An excellent option for those with a Zen audio device, these speakers produce impressive sound in the upper and lower ranges, although they are somewhat lacking in the middle frequencies.
Price$ 199.95 (AUD)
The Creative i-Trigue L3800 combines a great sounding subwoofer with clear satellites, resulting in an impressive 2.1 speaker system. We did notice a lack of power in some mid-range tones, but other than that the sound was extremely pleasing. If you own a Creative Zen audio device these speakers are even more enticing, as they can double as a home stereo replacement due to the ability to control the functions of your Zen through the remote.
The newest addition to the i-Trigue range, the L3800 packs a serious punch. The subwoofer provides great bass as Creative has found a good balance by producing ground shaking rumbles while still keeping the sound punchy and accurate. We were particularly impressed with the depth achieved by this sub, as it has the ability to generate some very low frequencies without a loss of clarity.
The satellites speakers produced impressive results, achieving excellent clarity and separation of instruments in the upper registers. The bright sound of the satellites, however, contrasted with the depth of the subwoofer, left a noticeable gap in the middle range frequencies. The lack of mid range deliverance is disappointing as the speakers felt rather imbalanced given the excellent bass and treble reproduction.
Constructed from a combination of aluminium and wood, the stylish design is typical of Creative's i-Trigue family. The satellite speakers feature two NeoTitanium micro drivers and a mid tone driver, with the latter firing laterally as opposed to straight ahead. Creative believe this produces a more balanced sound, but as mentioned, we found the lack of balance to be the only issue with these speakers.
The i-Trigue's all come with a wired, external control unit similar to a small AV receiver, and a remote control which is especially handy for those who own a Creative portable digital media player. The remote includes the key functions of Creative's line of Zen players and can interface with them, so you simply connect your device with the standard 3.5mm jack and can then control it via the remote. The control unit houses a volume and bass adjustment as well as a headphone jack.
The speakers are easy to set up as wires are colour coded, with each wire having a different connection, meaning you simply cannot connect a wire to the wrong socket. The wires are also of reasonable length meaning almost any speaker configuration is catered for. Also included in the box is a dual RCA to stereo adaptor for gaming.
With the inclusion of Zen controls on the remote, this is a very attractive package for anyone who owns one of these players. If you don't own a Zen, and want speakers for a PC or other audio device, these still have great merit as the bass emitted from the subwoofer and the upper range of the satellites are excellent.
Join the newsletter!
Why virtualise your NAS environment?
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 5 LG V30+ Review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
Latest News Articles
- Logitech try to reinvent the keyboard experience with Logitech CRAFT
- First AMD Ryzen Desktop APUs Featuring World’s Most Powerful Graphics on a Desktop Processor
- MSI AM4 Motherboards are now ready for new AMD 2nd Generation Ryzen Desktop Processors
- Intel Xeon D-2100 set to enable new capabilities for cloud, network and service providers
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By MadCatz
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- TPScrum MasterNSW
- FTSenior Full stack Developer (Java)ACT
- FTAngularJS DeveloperOther
- CCBusiness Analyst (Junior - Mid Level)NSW
- FTUI / UX Junior AnalystQLD
- FTBusiness Systems AnalystOther
- FTLead Project Manager -Office Fit out & AccommodationOther
- FTBroker Support/ Applications SupportOther
- CCSenior Internet Services EngineerNSW
- FTAndroid Developer - 6 Month ContractOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Product MigrationOther
- FTHR Payroll Officer - Government background onlyOther
- TPManual Test AnalystQLD
- FTL&D Developer - Trainer - eLearning SpecialistNSW
- FTJunior level .NET DeveloperACT
- CCInstructional DesignerNSW
- FTMobile App DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTGraduate Project CoordinatorACT
- FTWeb Application Developer - NodeJSOther
- TPBusiness Analyst/Project ManagerQLD
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- CCDatapower DeveloperACT