Creative Labs Live! Cam Video IM Pro
- Decent quality image, wide range of controls, fun
- Maximum resolution is software enhanced
A great webcam that offers reasonable image quality and all the features you'd expect out of such a device.
Price$ 89.95 (AUD)
The lengthily named Live! Cam Video IM Pro is one of Creative Labs' mid-range webcams. It's got a heap of functionality and decent video quality to boot. Anyone looking for a simple to use webcam that includes some fun extras can't go far wrong with this product.
The heart of the Live! Cam Video IM Pro is a 640 x 480 VGA sensor. This is used to good effect for video and stills. Images can be scaled by Creative's software up to 1280 x 960 (1.3 megapixels), and they don't look too bad. Video can be captured at the native resolution of 640 x 480 at 30fps, or scaled to 800 x 600 which drops the frame rate to 15fps. Video is clear and sharp, with few signs of blurring and a good colour balance. Creative include a wide range of controls, such as gamma, backlight adjustment and exposure, which is useful for anyone using the webcam in low light.
If you don't want to use Creative's software then the webcam is fully compatible with MSN Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger and others. Creative even bundle a clip-on microphone so you can engage in voice conversations. However, it's Creative's software that provides the most fun. This allows a whole host of extra features that you don't find with cheaper models. In addition to JPEG photo capture, and WMV or DiVX video capture, Creative offers motion detection, remote monitoring and time-lapse video.
To spice up the video capture, Creative includes a whole range of video effects filters. These range from bizarre psychedelic motion filters to the ability to superimpose your head on Ayers Rock or the Eiffel Tower. We were even able to get into the Christmas spirit with Creative's 'sparkle' filter! If you get bored of the twenty or so filters that come bundled, it's possible to download more for free from Creative's website.
The motion detection feature is similar to those we have seen on other devices. Areas can be set on the screen to monitor, and when motion is detected an alarm sounds and the camera starts recording. It can even be set to email stills of the intruder to a give email address. If you're really feeling adventurous then it's also possible to configure the camera to be viewed remotely over the Internet, though you'll need your own website to do so. Face tracking is also included, though its usefulness is debatable. The idea is that the camera zooms into the area of the screen that contains the user's face, though we found it wasn't entirely accurate and would constantly zoom back and forth all over the place.
One other fun feature is the ability to record time-lapse video. In this mode the camera takes a still shot at give intervals, and then merges them into a WMV video. This is perfect for taking those long shots of flowers blooming you might have seen on nature programs, or the high speed cloud movement sometimes seen on weather forecasts such as Channel 10's Skywatch.
Overall it's hard to see what else anyone could really need from a webcam; Creative has done a great job at including a multitude of features with respectable image quality.
Join the newsletter!
A printer that is efficient, reliable and can work seamlessly with your systems and software.Read this solicitor's review to find out more!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- Netgear Launches the Arlo Go LTE Wire-Free Camera on Telstra’s Mobile Network
- D-Link Wins Prestigious iF Design Award 2018
- Reolink Launches a New 4G LTE Security Camera, Available in Australia
- Netgear announce local availability for smarter, sharper, Alexa-friendly Arlo Pro 2
- Netgear to spin off Arlo
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTPython DeveloperOther
- TPPMO AnalystACT
- CCHadoop DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Supply Chain / LogisiticsVIC
- FTIT Program ManagerOther
- FTHealthcare TesterVIC
- FTSenior Software EngineerOther
- TPProject Manager - Learning SystemsQLD
- CCThe job "Automation Test Analyst Guidewire " is now ExpiredQLD
- FTSenior BA ( Squad BA)Other
- FTApplication Support ManagerOther
- FTOracle SOA DeveloperOther
- TPProject Manager - ApplicationsQLD
- TPIT Trainer - System ReleaseWA
- FTSenior UX Digital Developer, Digital Design DevelopmentOther
- TPSenior Technical Business AnalystQLD
- FTSystem AdministratorOther
- TPMessaging EngineerQLD
- FTIT Support - Level 3NSW
- FTSystems Engineer - Ticketing Support - Office365 / ExchangeOther
- FTSolutions ArchitectOther
- FTJunior-Mid Level Release ManagerQLD
- FTDigital Integration Practitioner - BRF/DSMACT
- FTSenior AX Developer / Team LeadOther
- FTService Asset & Configuration ManagerNSW