Secure and Save before time runs out with Bitdefender Exclusive Clearance Offer! Get Bitdefender Total Security 2018 Now!
Creative Labs WebCam Live! Effects
- Tracks subject movement, includes lapel microphone
- Windows only, some effects are gimmicky
Creative’s Live! Effects WebCam is great for chatting with friends and family. However, some of the bundled effects are not practically useful.
Price$ 159.00 (AUD)
Though Webcams have been available for the better part of a decade, the local boost in broadband uptake means that only now are they becoming truly practical for communicating with friends and family from around the world.
Creative's Live! Effects WebCam is packed with useful features, such as the ability to track a subject and keep a face in the centre of the screen. A lapel microphone is also bundled in the packaging to boost audio quality.
The small silver and grey webcam includes a four way stand that allows it to sit on a flat surface or attach to a CRT, flat panel or notebook screen. A USB 2.0 port allows a video frame rate of up to 30 frames per second at a resolution of 640 x 480 pixels. Still image capture is supported at a resolution of up to 1.3 megapixels, but this is achieved via software interpolation and the we found the high-res images appeared a little grainy.
Creative's main selling point for the Live! Effects is the ability to add video effects to your footage. For example, it's possible to morph an image or adjust the background to brighten up Webcam conversations, and the webcam ships with a number "Advanced Video FX" straight from the box. Registered users can download more from the Creative website, and it's even possible to get "Stik-on" Webcam covers to personalise the unit.
All versions of Windows are supported from 98SE onwards, but there's no support for Mac users. The packaging includes a copy of Yahoo! messenger, and the device is compatible with MSN messenger, AOL Instant Messenger, and Windows messenger applications. A one-year warranty rounds out a capable Webcam, though most users will find the effects a gimmick.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P20 Pro review: See it and believe the hype
- 2 Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- 3 Samsung Q9F Series QLED: Peak performance from a home entertainment heavyweight
- 4 Fitbit Versa review: New look, better price, same limits
- 5 Dell Inspiron 13 7000 2-in-1 review: Smaller form-factor, higher performance
Latest News Articles
- Swann refine their smart security solution with new solar panel
- Logitech Rally sets new standard for USB-connected conference cams
- Netgear recall Arlo power adapters
- Canon Strengthens 2:3” Broadcast Lens Range
- Canon Introduces Cinema EOS C700 FF Camera and More
PCW Evaluation Team
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
- Huawei P20 Pro review: See it and believe the hype
- Computex 2018: Nvidia launches new AI-focused hardware and software platforms
- Computex 2018: Everything you missed at Asia's biggest tech tradeshow
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?