Creative Labs Webcam Notebook
- Miniscule size, simple to use
- Poor image quality in low light
Its ease of use and solid specifications make the Webcam notebook a good choice for those on the move.
Price$ 80.00 (AUD)
As its name would suggest, the Creative Webcam Notebook is specifically tailored to satisfy the needs of the mobile user. Barely larger than an AA battery, the camera attempts to provide all the functionality of a regular webcam in a diminutive and portable form.
Preparing the camera for use is a breeze. Simply attach the camera via a simple clip-on mechanism, plug in the USB cable, run the installation CD and away you go. Some users may find the plethora of installation options awaiting them a little daunting at first, but referring to the Quick Install guide should answer most queries.
The unit itself displays specifications you would expect of any decent webcam, a worthy achievement considering its vastly reduced dimensions. With a 640x480 CMOS sensor and a maximum frame rate of 30 fps the \Webcam Notebook is a solid performer. In regular daytime use the camera achieves crisp imaging and accurate colour reproduction. Focusing is manual and can be quickly altered via a simple ring. Creative also provides options for fine tuning the lighting settings with several presets. In low level lighting, however, we found these settings disappointing and the camera struggles to reproduce an accurate image. Unless your subject is in direct light, the camera displays poor dynamic range and a soft haze of blue noise.
Being stuck firmly to the notebook screen, the Webcam Notebook provides little in the way of physical adjustment. It can be rotated 180 degrees to show what lies behind your screen but no lateral adjustment is catered for. Presumably most users prefer to sit in front of their screen, so this shouldn't be much of a problem.
The Creative Webcam Notebook is compatible with all the major instant messaging programs and set up is simple. Creative's included software is also relatively easy to use and provides some useful options including motion detection and automatic web page updating. The software rounds out a solid package from Creative and the Webcam Notebook is a worthwhile purchase for anyone wanting a webcam on the go.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
Latest News Articles
- Sony make shooting in HDR easy with new 4K camcorders
- Sony announces Australian availability for new waterproof RX0 action-camera
- Microsoft's Beam becomes Mixer, adds four person split-screen streaming to battle Twitch
- Microsoft's Story Remix uses machine learning and mixed reality to make your movies awesome
- New IoT malware targets 100,000 IP cameras via known flaw
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Moto E4: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCWindows 10 Deployment Team LeadVIC
- FTPrint Sales Manager - Geelong basedOther
- FTChange and Business Deployment Specialist - $800 per dayOther
- FTApplication Service Delivery ManagerNSW
- FTIT TechnicianOther
- FTWorkday TesterVIC
- FTEmail Production SpecialistOther
- FTLevel 3 Support Engineer (Tibco, Java, J2ee, Jboss)Other
- FTPython DeveloperOther
- FTNon - Functional Test LeadOther
- TPBusiness Process AnalystNSW
- CCSolutions Architect - SharepointACT
- FTAutomation Test Analyst - Selenium/ToscaOther
- FTBusiness Analyst (SAP Security)Other
- TPProject ManagerACT
- FTINCIDENT MANAGEROther
- CCUX Developer / DesignerQLD
- FTService Desk AnalystVIC
- FTMS SQL AdministratorOther
- FTProgram Level Agile CoachOther
- FTSolution ArchitectWA
- FTWindows EngineerACT
- FTTest Engineer - Telecom domainVIC
- FTLevel 3 Desktop EngineerOther