Cyber Acoustics AC-9650
A good quality gaming headset.
- Good audio quality, good environmental sound reproduction, good microphone, sturdy construction
- Elastic headband is not good for users wearing glasses, occasional muddiness in bass
The Cyber Acoustics AC-9650 is a very good gaming headset that won't break the bank. It's comfortable to wear and delivers good audio; only people who wear glasses need to think hard before buying it.
Price$ 89.95 (AUD)
The Cyber Acoustics AC-9650 is a gaming headset with excellent audio and a good microphone, but it can be slightly awkward sometimes.
The Cyber Acoustics AC-9650 comes in attractive shades of gunmetal grey. It's a fairly standard over-the-head model with bulbous ear pieces that have pleather padding for extra comfort on those long, cold gaming nights. The headphones are surprisingly soft and comfortable, even when wearing the headset for long periods. The headset looks geeky, but you probably won't mind when you're fragging your opponents in a LAN event.
The headset's build quality is good. However, one annoying problem is the adjustable elastic headband, which is very firm and sits close to your ears. If you wear glasses, you will find them constantly getting pushed upwards.
The cord length of 2.13m is more than ample for most users, and you can choose between connecting to the headphone and microphone ports on your computer and connecting to a dongle that then plugs into a USB port.
The Cyber Acoustics AC-9650 headset performs surprisingly well when it comes to both music and sound effects. Mid-range and treble were clear and well-defined, with little to no distortion at high volumes. Voices and classical instruments like violins and Spanish guitars came out with the right timbre, while fast-paced electronic tracks like Goldfrapp's "Ooh Lah Lah" had each and every tone correctly defined.
The gaming headset's bass performance was also decent, delivering smooth and rich tones although very occasionally featuring a little muddiness.
More importantly for gamers, the headset was excellent at simulating the game environment. Footsteps were distinct and placed correctly on the soundstage, for example.
Communicating with your team while in noisy environments like Internet cafes is aided by the noise-cancelling adjustable microphone, which is very sturdy and effective. Although environmental audio will still be present, your voice will still be heard through the ruckus. The fact that the microphone boom is stiff works to a gamer's advantage (we've found that products like the Plantronics .Audio 770 with smoothly rotating microphone booms tend to degrade over time).
If you're looking for a headset that can help you play games on a Monday and listen to "Ride of the Valkyries" on a Tuesday (possibly while gaming), then the Cyber Acoustics AC-9650 will do the trick.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's AirPods could deliver audio with multiple wireless protocols
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming motherboard review
- The simple RAM buying guide
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTIntegration Developer (WebSphere Message Broker / Java)SA
- CCSenior Communications Advisor - Australian TelcoVIC
- FTIT Systems EngineerTAS
- FTCustomer Account Officers x3NSW
- FTSolution ArchitectSA
- TPBusiness Analyst / Test CoordinatorQLD
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer (Mid level) - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTInformation Management Business Capability AnalystACT
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTIT Systems EngineerQLD
- FTIntermediate Project ManagerQLD
- FTData Analyst - 12 months Fixed Term ContractVIC
- CCSenior DeveloperNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- CCData AnalystNSW
- FTProject CoordinatorVIC
- TPProject Manager | Applications and Project InitiationQLD
- CCGraduate DeveloperQLD
- FTAccounts and Office AdministratorNSW
- FTLearning & Development Consultant, Wealth ManagementNSW
- CCTechnical Specialist - Cloud ServicesVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCMaster Data Officer - SAPNSW
- TPDigital Process Business Analyst - Digital Transformation**NSW