Cyberlink YouCam 2
Cuddly chatting characters
- Easy to use, cute enhancements, business conferencing features
- Webcam chat enhancements somewhat shallow, cost of software
Although this package is aimed at webcam enthusiasts, the only thing that really makes it worth the cost is the business conferencing facility.
Price$ 39.49 (AUD)
CyberLink YouCam 2 is an interesting piece of software that allows webcam chatterers a range of ways to ramp up the camp as well as facilitate business discussions.
With a simple interface and a family-friendly selection of cartoon-style animations and effects, users of YouCam 2 can keep themselves and others entertained. Of special note is the avatar chat system, which allows the user to assume one of 12 cute and cuddly characters.
In theory, when the user blinks, winks, moves or yawns so too does the fluffy creature on the screen. When we tried the function, however, the effect was a little more sporadic, with the cute little dogs and dolls sometimes still as stone while we fidgeted violently, but then active when we left the camera's view. Even so, this feature will amuse for a while.
Other entertaining stalwarts of webcam software are present, with a range of animated frames available to users. Filter animations can also be activated, with snowdrops and candy showers just two of the many effects available (others are downloadable for free).
The software allows you to record images using selected effects or avatars, and users can publish their footage directly to YouTube without going through the trouble of logging on to the service via a browser.
When webcam chatting using popular instant messaging programs such as MSN Messenger, a range of frames and avatars are available through YouCam 2's IM Mode — a minimised version of the full program. This provides a few gimmicky extras that can liven up a conversation.
But it isn't all play and no work. Two positive points for small to medium business users to consider are the security monitoring and presentation capabilities.
The first of these has been a staple of webcam software for years. As soon as motion is detected, time-stamped footage begins recording and images of possible intruders are captured on your hard drive.
Unfortunately, if the computer on which the program is installed is the target of a thief, it spells the end of this feature's usefulness (along with your ownership of the computer).
More useful is the ability to share documents, such as PowerPoint presentation files, through instant messaging programs. Users can set the duration for each slide to be displayed as the information is discussed and presented via standard webcam methods. This gives users and businesses that can't afford teleconferencing equipment and software, such as Cisco's expensive Telepresence package, a basic substitute.
The entertainment functions of the package are rather gimmicky. Whether or not these gimmicks are worth the price of purchase depends on how much amusement you think you'll get from them. For small to medium businesses that want a cheap off-the-shelf solution to facilitate online presentations and discussions, CyberLink YouCam 2 may be a surprisingly good business investment.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 HTC U11 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Gigabyte Aero 15 corporate gaming laptop review
- 3 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 4 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft apologizes after a rogue Windows 10 preview build causes chaos
- Skype's major redesign prioritizes helpful bots and a smart camera over traditional video chats
- All-electric satellites are ushering in zippier in-flight internet access
- Why Microsoft's ARM-based Windows 10 laptops still have a lot to prove
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- MSI GL62M 7RDX gaming laptop review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTProject / Program ManagerOther
- FTLean Six Sigma - Change ConsultantOther
- FTSenior Analyst Programmer - Equities or DerivativesOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst, Investment FundsNSW
- FTeCommerce Solution ArchitectOther
- FTWintel Infrastructure EngineerACT
- TPProgram Manager - 10+ month contractQLD
- FTManager - Program Management Office (PMO)Other
- CCDeveloper - ASP.Net - Sencha Ext JSVIC
- FTBI Tech LeadOther
- CCBMC Remedy Business AnalystVIC
- FTSoftware Engineer - Content Design NetworkOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - eCommerceOther
- TPTest AnalystSA
- FTWintel EngineerSA
- CCPMO AdministratorVIC
- FTVoice Solution Engineer - Telecommunications (Unified Comms)Other
- CCSAP Support ConsultantNSW
- FTImplementation ConsultantNSW
- FTTechnical Agile BAOther
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- TPPrincipal Project Manager|HRIS ProgramQLD
- FTOffice & Operations AdministratorNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence Analyst - Microsoft BI StackNSW
- CCPeoplesoft campus solution consultant/TesterNSW