Cygnett GrooveTime II iPod dock
The Cygnett GrooveTime II is an iPod dock and alarm clock with an FM tuner and good sound quality.
- Looks good, small, relatively good sound quality
- Remote control lacks full iPod menu functionality, remote control buttons often unresponsive
The Cygnett GrooveTime II iPod dock and alarm clock looks good and sounds great, especially when it's relatively small price and size are considered. Its only let-downs are the remote control's lack of full iPod menu functionality and its unresponsive buttons.
Price$ 139.95 (AUD)
The Cygnett GrooveTime II iPod dock and alarm clock is small and cute, but it also produces a surprising amount of good quality sound. Although it is compatible with a wide variety of Apple iPods and with the iPhone, has an auxiliary connection and can receive FM signals, it doesn't offer complete iPod menu control.
The Cygnett GrooveTime II is a petite white block with an iPod connector on top, 2W speakers on the left and right side, a clock on the front and a power connection at the back next to the AUX port. The digital display can be dimmed so it's not distracting at night.
When setting the time on the clock, it's best to use the buttons on the Cygnett GrooveTime II iPod dock itself. The remote control's keys are often unresponsive (you also can't scroll through numbers by holding down a button). It also can't control iPod menu functions like changing the album or artist, restricting users to skipping tracks and play/pausing.
Once you've set the Cygnett GrooveTime II iPod dock up, you're able to enjoy its surprisingly good audio quality.
We found that the mid-range notes from instruments like the piano came out smoothly, but the speakers often struggled to hit high treble notes without suffering from distortion. This was particularly apparent in electronic tracks like "Ice Cream" by the New Young Pony Club. Low notes sound good given the speakers' size, but it doesn't match the performance of the similarly priced Amethyst iPig iPod Buddy. The Cygnett GrooveTime II also has a bass booster that lets you pick the level of bass being played, but turning this up reduces frequency distinction.
The Cygnett GrooveTime II iPod dock also works as an FM radio, and the auto tuner can assign presets to the stations it picks up. Although there are no individually numbered preset buttons, hitting the skip track buttons will shift between various stations. We found that the antenna was able to pick up FM signals quite well, but the external antenna detracts from the overall look.
The Cygnett GrooveTime II iPod dock is compatible with the Apple iPhone 3G, the Apple iPhone, the iPod touch (second generation), the Apple iPod nano (fourth generation), the Apple iPod touch, the Apple iPod classic, the Apple iPod nano (third generation), the Apple iPod (updated fifth generation), the Apple iPod nano (second generation) and any other iPod with a standard dock connector.
If you're after an iPod dock with a small form factor and big sound, the Cygnett GrooveTime II iPod dock provides plenty of features in a cute package. Just make sure you're happy with the limited menu control.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTSenior Test AnalystWA
- FTL&D Manager, Transformation Program in Finance ServicesNSW
- CCImplementation Manager/PlannerQLD
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTInfrastructure EngineerACT
- FTEnterprise Architect - Network and TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCUX DeveloperQLD
- FTQueue ManagerACT
- CCSecurity Incident Analyst - Splunk - TelcoVIC
- CCProject ManagerACT
- FTDevOps EngineerNSW
- TPSenior Deployment Officer (Office 365)QLD
- FTDeputy Chief Engineer - Defence Systems - IT Services - Nowra BasedNSW
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- CCProject Manager - Salesforce ImplementationVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTAccounts and Office AdministratorNSW
- CCNetwork EngineerVIC
- FTTechnical Solution ArchitectSA
- FT.NET DeveloperVIC
- TPProject Manager | Applications and Project InitiationQLD
- TPSenior Sitecore Developer (.NET)QLD
- CCChange ManagerWA
- FTSecurity ConsultantQLD