Cygnett Unison i-XT
A good value iPod dock.
- Excellent sound; stylish, minimalist design; S-Video port for iPod movie output; USB port for connecting to iTunes
- Lacks clock, radio and equaliser functions
The Cygnett Unison i-XT is an iPod dock that produces excellent sound and looks good but its lack of functions may disappoint users looking for an all-in-one device.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
The Cygnett Unison i-XT is an iPod dock and 2.1 speaker set. Although it lacks clock, radio and equaliser functions, it provides a helpful variety of connections like S-Video out as well as remarkably good audio.
The i-XT is a 2.1 speaker unit with only three buttons (for power and volume control) and a separate iPod connection station. The main speaker is solidly built and its featureless black design gives it a minimalist look.
The i-XT is compatible with any iPod that uses a dock port connector, which includes all iPods up to and including the latest iPod touch (2nd Generation) except for the iPod shuffle (Updated 2nd Generation). Although it doesn't officially support the iPhone, we tested the i-XT with an iPhone and found no problems using it.
The remote control's signals are received at the iPod dock, which is linked to the main unit via a DC cable and an Aux connection. An auxiliary input as well as analog stereo RCA connections can be found on the back of the speaker box. Other ports include an S-Video output that allows videos on iPods to be played on compatible display devices and a USB connection that lets iPods sync with linked computers without being unplugged from the dock. Both of these are welcome inclusions that are rarely found on this type of device.
Users can control their iPod's menu via the remote control, making it much easier to select and play music and movies. We found that keys took a little too much effort to push and that the menu refused to auto-scroll when we held the button down. This means that browsing through a large list of tracks will require either button-bashing or accessing the menu via the iPod directly.
Once a track has been selected, however, the audio quality provided by the speakers will quickly make you forget the negatives and think about the sound. The rich bass is supplied by a 4in subwoofer, which reproduced the bass guitar of Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Run Through the Jungle" with excellent depth. The hollow and half-hearted sound produced by some iPod docks, such as the Altec Lansing iM310, is happily absent.
The mid-range and treble is also excellent thanks to the two 3in dome tweeters. Piano concertos sound great, with warm and well-defined notes, while Freddie Mercury's upper-range singing in "Bohemian Rhapsody" came through crystal clear. The lack of equaliser options on the i-XT is disappointing, but users can choose to modify their iPod's built-in EQ settings.
The i-XT is an attractive iPod dock with very good audio quality and advanced connection options for the reasonable price of $299.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Asus launches laptops to start Computex 2017
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- FTLead Senior Systems Engineer | 90 - 120K + Super|VIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystACT
- FTSupport Analyst - TallymanVIC
- FTPMO CoordinatorVIC
- FTBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTProject Control Analyst - PMONSW
- FTSecurity ConsultantNSW
- CCGun Java/ Full Stack Developer wanted...VIC
- CCGIS Consultant/ Developer - BRISBANEQLD
- FTBI and Report DeveloperQLD
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst - ImprovementQLD
- FTLevel 1 Support OfficerQLD
- CCData AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- FTAutomation Anywhere/Robotics EngineerQLD
- CCSenior Communications Advisor - Australian TelcoVIC
- FTInformation Security ArchitectQLD
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- FTScrum Master - TechnicalNSW
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- FTNetwork Solution Architect -Telecommunications InfrastructureNSW