D-Link Australia DSL-G604T
- Great performance
- Irritating menu system, No on/off switch
Overall, this is a solid unit for a home network and it achieved some of the best throughput results in our tests.
Price$ 179.95 (AUD)
The D-Link DSL-G604T achieved the highest throughput of all the modems we tested. However it took us a while to get the hang of this modem's interface, which uses side and top buttons to take you to the different sections of configurable features.
In the configuration pages you can enable the firewall, which has DoS protection as well as protection against port scanning. You can also specifically filter incoming and outgoing traffic, depending on the IP address.
One thing that is a little annoying is the lack of an on/off switch, which would come in handy at times when cutting the power is the only way to reset the modem. In saying that, we didn't experience any crashes with this modem while using the Internet and transferring data to multiple PCs on our network simultaneously.
However, we do wish all the settings for implementing the wireless connection and wireless security were in one place in the interface.
It's a relatively inexpensive modem, and can be used to serve a wireless network through its built-in 802.11b/g module.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Google's Espresso networking tech takes SD-WAN to internet scale
- Netgear expands its Orbi Wi-Fi system into a product family, adding two less-expensive models
- Chips coming by June will herald the next generation of Wi-Fi
- Plume's 'routerless' mesh network blankets your home in Wi-Fi with an army of tiny pods
- Netgear Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router goes all the way to 11
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCICT Project CoordinatorNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- TPSenior DeveloperNSW
- FTSystem Engineer - VMWare, UCS, NetAppVIC
- FTLead ArchitectVIC
- FTData Analyst / Reporting SpecialistNSW
- CCData ArchitectWA
- CCTesting SpecialistVIC
- FTEnterprise ArchitectVIC
- FTSecurity ConsultantNSW
- TPLevel 1-3 Helpdesk OfficerQLD
- CCBusiness Change ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Systems EngineerVIC
- TPSupport AnalystVIC
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksVIC
- CCSenior Data AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Analyst - Rostering ProjectNSW
- TPSenior Deployment Officer (Office 365)QLD
- TPSolution Architect - LIS ProgramQLD
- FTSenior Solution Designer, Investment and Trading PlatformNSW
- CCWeb DesignerQLD
- FTInfrastructure EngineerACT
- CCVDI EngineerACT
- FTEnterprise Architect - Network and TelecommunicationsNSW