Watch YouTube without a browser, thanks to DeskTube
- Free, support for several social-networking sites and services
- A bit shaky
Overall, DeskTube is a great idea which is still being perfected. DeskTube is under very active and ongoing development, so I suspect most of its issues will be sorted out in time.
Want to watch YouTube without all the overhead of a browser? DeskTube (free) lets you do just that. DeskTube is, as you might guess, a desktop app which connects to YouTube and shows you videos. You have access to most of the functionality of YouTube through DeskTube, including the ability to see the festering pit of humanity which is the "Comments" section of almost any video. Because the interface can be designed without the constraints of a browser-based app, it is snappier and somewhat cleaner than YouTube.
Furthermore, DeskTube lets you tap into several social-networking sites and services, such as Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter, giving you a unified console from which you can a) Watch videos of cats being cute, b) Upload video of your cat being cute, and, c) Tell all your friends that your cat did something cute. The idea of specialized portals into Web data, other than the browser, is an excellent one, one of those "D'oh!" notions that seems obvious only after someone else has thought of it.
But... (there's always a but, isn't there?) DeskTube is still a bit shaky. The interface is neither Windows-standard nor Web-standard, and there are several peculiarities to the controls. Some items would become selectable, or not, seemingly at random--for example, say you're watching a video and the right-hand tab shows "Related". You click "Comments", spend a few seconds reading them, weep for the future of the human race, then click "Related" again. Nothing happens--you must hide the Comments pane in order to see the Related videos once again. There are other, similar, issues. I can see my friend's posts in Facebook, but even though there's a box to allow me to enter my status ("I'm reviewing a program."), I am unable to actually type text into it.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSenior Digital Producer/Digital Program ManagerOther
- FTPreSales / Offerings Solution Architect - BPS or BPONSW
- CCProperty Project Manager - Office ExpansionNSW
- CCApplication Solution Designer (Automation)NSW
- FTDigital Product OwnerOther
- CCData AnalystQLD
- FTDelphi DeveloperOther
- CCApplications Development Delivery LeadVIC
- CCSecurity/ Penetration Test AnalystQLD
- CCProject Manager - CRMQLD
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperQLD
- CCSystem Analyst - AxwayQLD
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)WA
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTDesktop Technical LeadOther
- TPTest ManagerQLD
- FTPayments Business AnalystVIC
- FTChange Manager, IT & Business ProjectsOther
- FTMiddleware Engineer/ Tibco ActiveMatrix or other ESBOther
- FTWeb DesignerOther
- CCSharePoint Developer / AdministratorNSW
- FTSalesforce Platform LeadOther
- FTSenior Portfolio Analyst. 12 month contract.NSW
- TPWeb DeveloperACT