Well-priced calibration solution
- High-quality colorimeter, easy-to-use and powerful software, low price, real-time ambient light adjustment
- Lacks innovative tools of other solutions
If you don't want one of the all-in-one monitor and printer calibration solutions, the Spyder3Elite is a well-priced choice.
Price$ 465.00 (AUD)
Over the past year we've seen plenty of innovation in the colour-calibration market, with the emergence of combination monitor-and-printer calibration systems such as Pantone's ColorMunki and the Colour Confidence Profiler. The ColorMunki is also capable of being used as a real-world Eyedropper tool.
The Spyder3Elite eschews the trend, in favour of a higher-grade of monitor calibration — though it is available in a bundle with the Spyder3Print printer calibrator as the Spyder3Studio. It has some innovations of its own, but overall it's essentially an upgraded version of the Spyder2.
The Spyder3 device has a larger measurement area and is 400 per cent more sensitive than the previous model — and is of a higher grade than most of its rivals, based on Datacolour's quoted stats.
The company has given the Spyder's design an overhaul, keeping the 'alien spaceship' shape of the Spyder2 but ditching the dull grey and black design for a high-reflective metal finish that looks like an intriguingly geeky desk ornament.
You may want to keep the Spyder3Elite on your desk at all times, as it features an ambient light sensor on its front. This is used during calibration, but can be set to be always on using the software's advanced tools — so it adjusts your monitor to lighting changes in your studio automatically. Considering the British weather, this could be a very useful function.
The Spyder3Elite software is excellent. It's a straight-down-the-line monitor calibration tool, with simple and advanced modes. The advanced mode offers a huge amount of control to match different studio lighting conditions and gamma curves — including Cineon for post-production of telecined film stock.
The software also includes the StudioMatch Assistant, so multiple displays can be calibrated to match each other — essentially limiting their palettes to the weakest one.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- AOC Unveils AG322QCX AGON Gaming Display Bolstered for Battle
- Samsung announces Australian availability for its 49-inch CHG90 QLED Monitor
- BenQ Announces the EW3270ZL Eye Care Monitor with Immaculate Colour Reproduction
- AbleGamers' Player Panels could make future games more disability-friendly
- Dell's luscious new 4K monitor is bold, bright, and HDR-infused
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTScrum MasterOther
- FTService Desk Technical LeadNSW
- CCLead Pega Systems ArchitectACT
- FTSenior Siebel DeveloperOther
- TPProject ManagerACT
- CCAndroid developerNSW
- FTRisk Specialist - 6 month contractOther
- TPIntegration Developer. Cloud SolutionsNSW
- FTCloud Architect - AWS, Azure, ADOther
- FTTest Analyst, TOSCAOther
- FTSenior Telecommunications RiggerOther
- CCSenior Systems EngineerWA
- FTRigger TechniciansOther
- FTProject ManagerOther
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- TPProcurement ManagerACT
- CCIntegration AnalystVIC
- FTWeb DesignerOther
- CCPNI ConsultantVIC
- FTDevOps Engineer - Supply ChainOther
- FTProgram Director - ieMROther
- FTNBNJP00001080 - Facilities/Capacity EngineerOther
- CCLean Six Sigma Process Improvement SpecialistVIC
- CCWeb Applications Project ManagerACT
- TPBusiness Analysis, Design and Configuration ManagerQLD