Datacolor Spyder3Studio SR monitor calibrator
Even if you don't use SpyderCube RAW, the Spyder3Studio is great value for money
- Great calibration, affordable
- Printer calibration can be fiddly, more expensive than ColorMunki
The Spyder3Elite monitor calibrator is one of the best on the market, delivering precise calibration through simple to use software.
Price$ 495.00 (AUD)
Let’s not pretend that colour management is fascinating – still, it’s not as dull as having to repeatedly colour-correct your work trying to get your screen and printer to play nicely. The Spyder3 Studio SR opens up colour management to illustrators, photographers and designers with high-end colour needs but shoestring budgets.
It consists of three devices: Spyder3Elite, for monitors; Spyder3Print SR, for printers; and SpyderCube RAW, for cameras. They’re all housed in a heavy-duty metal case that protects the delicate parts when you store them. You’ll use the SpyderCube RAW every time you shoot. It’s a plastic cube with white, black and 18 per cent grey sides that you can photograph in the studio or on location alongside your project files to capture – then use this data to set the white, black and grey points in your software.
Even if you don’t use SpyderCube RAW, the Spyder3Studio is great value for money. The Spyder3Elite monitor calibrator is one of the best on the market, delivering precise calibration through simple to use software.
Unlike rival systems such as the X-rite’s ColorMunki Photo, the Spyder3Print SR is a separate device to the monitor calibrator. It uses a plastic strip holder, where you print out a sheet of coloured patches in strips, place it under the runner catch and manually swipe the Spyder3Print SR device along the runner to read the strips. Tugging the printed page under the runner isn’t as quick as using the ColorMunki, where you place it on your desk and swipe.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 2 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 3 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 4 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
- 5 iPhone 8: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- AOC Unveils AG322QCX AGON Gaming Display Bolstered for Battle
- Samsung announces Australian availability for its 49-inch CHG90 QLED Monitor
- BenQ Announces the EW3270ZL Eye Care Monitor with Immaculate Colour Reproduction
- AbleGamers' Player Panels could make future games more disability-friendly
- Dell's luscious new 4K monitor is bold, bright, and HDR-infused
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSenior Strategy Specialist - Direct / ConsumerOther
- CCProcess LeadNSW
- FTCyber Security- ManagerSA
- CCPNI ConsultantVIC
- FTReporting Analyst - Planning & ForecastingOther
- CCProduct ManagerNSW
- TPIT Technical WriterNSW
- CCAdvisory Project Manager - Infrastructure Services.QLD
- FTDigital BA / Product Owner / 3 Month ContractOther
- CCArchitect ? Office 365 MigrationQLD
- FTAccount Management/Customer Service - MULTIPLE ROLESSA
- TPFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- FTMICROSOFT DYNAMICS CRM ARCHITECT ? NV1 CLEARANCE REQUIREDACT
- CCSAP BPC Specialist ConsultantTAS
- FTProduct Manager (IT Clinical Systems) - Permanent - Syd, Melb or BrisbNSW
- FTDigital Product OwnerOther
- FTSAP Lead Solution ArchitectOther
- FTSystems ArchitectNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - PEGAOther
- FT.NET DeveloperNSW
- CCSAP Subject Matter ExpertQLD
- FTInformation Security ConsultantQLD
- TPTechnical Lead (Office 365)QLD
- FTManagement Consultant, Strategy, New Products, TransformationsOther
- FTSplunk Engineer - starting next yearACT