Daz 3D Bryce 7
Daz 3D Bryce 7 is an affordable 3D suite
- Increased 3D data exchange, instancing lab, new lights, Sky Lab and Materials Lab enhancements
- Unfinished feel to product, some bugs on the Mac version
Able to design terrains, water and oceans, skies, clouds, fog, vegetation and architecture, along with strong animation and rendering tools, Bryce is a great buy at the $30 mark. However, there are a few bugs that need ironing out.
Price$ 29.95 (AUD)
Able to design terrains, water and oceans, skies, clouds, fog, vegetation and architecture, along with strong animation and rendering tools, Bryce is a venerable 3D suite now being developed by Daz As to be expected, Bryce 7 Pro offers close integration with Daz Studio and thus access to the Daz library of digital characters and objects, but there’s a welcome new ability to import models in Google Sketchup format, as well as import and export COLLADA and FBX files.
The new Instancing Lab uses a method that has been around in 3D applications for some time now, referencing object geometry to make copies without increasing scene overheads. In practice we found you need to have at least one other item in the scene with the object that you want to instance.
Selecting this terrain object as the target for the instanced geometry and clicking on the 'I' icon brings up the Instancing Lab. By selecting the Tree object from the drop down Source menu, we were able to apply a forest of trees to the terrain.
There are parameter sliders for size, density, distribution and divergence, as well as an eraser to remove individual instances. A Brush Editor allows you to mix different types of objects that you apply with the instancing brush.
The addition of new lights is also welcome; a new distant light, parallel, cluster, dome and a series of 3D fill lights are instantly available from the Create toolbar in the main viewport. These bring a lot more freedom to Bryce, making it possible for example, to replace the sun in a scene with a dome light set as a distant light source. Visible lighting effects on the scene, such as soft shadows, look much the same but the rendering time is much reduced.
Specular map settings have also been introduced into Bryce, able to add some excellent lighting effects to the materials lab, while Sky Lab benefits from a host of improvements to HDR imaging. Daz 3D has also built on the image-based lighting (IBL) feature introduced in version 6, to add soft shadows as well as a 'light from the inside' setting which can map an HDRI image onto the interior of an object. This can enable some very unreal, but artistic effects.
Bryce 7 Pro also has a particle system, slightly limited in that the emitter is a restricted to a sphere, but you can change the size, material and behaviour with respect to gravity of the particles.
On the Mac, clicking on the 'About' information displays it as Bryce 6. The Help menu offers a Bryce 6 manual. On Windows, the presentation is more refined, but there’s still no manual.
All this doesn’t paint a very professional picture but it shouldn’t put you off exploring Bryce however, as it otherwise continues to be a versatile and useful 3D application.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst - ImprovementQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksNSW
- CCJunior .NET DeveloperQLD
- TPEOI - JAVA DeveloperACT
- FTData Analyst - SASNSW
- CCGIS Consultant/ Developer - BRISBANENSW
- FTSenior Security Engineer x 3NSW
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerNSW
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- CCData AnalystNSW
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- CCSecurity Incident Analyst - Splunk - TelcoVIC
- CCSAP ISU Functional ConsultantVIC
- FTCustomer Service OperatorVIC
- CCSenior Solution AnalystVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst - Change and Process ImprovementQLD
- TPLevel 2/3 Technical Service AnalystOther
- FTSecurity Engineer (IPS & Firewall exp essential) - Perm - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- FTOAM Specialist | 3-6mth ContractVIC
- CCPega DeveloperQLD
- FTTRIM TrainersACT
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTData Analyst/ Reporting AnalystQLD