Dell 5230dn laser printer
Dell's 5230dn monochrome laser printer has the speed and features for a busy office
- Fast, inexpensive toner
- High purchase price
Fast and expandable, and using cheap toner, the Dell 5230dn laser printer is well suited for a high-volume office.
Price$ 999.00 (AUD)
The Dell 5230dn monochrome laser printer may cost more up front, but its speed and expandability make it an excellent choice for a medium-size workgroup.
The 5230dn offers plenty of standard features, plus room to grow. It supports a combined 350 pages of input from the main and multipurpose trays. You can add up to three 550-sheet drawers ($345.40 each) and a 2000-sheet drawer feeder ($1381.60) for a maximum capacity of 4000 sheets.
Equipped with USB and Ethernet ports, the 5230dn also has a slot for optional serial or parallel connectors ($90 or less). An empty bay lets you add a hard drive for fonts or forms. The control panel has a 3-inch, four-line, backlit monochrome LCD that can tilt upward slightly, plus clearly labelled buttons, a keypad, and a front USB port.
Built for high-volume printing, the 5230dn has a 200,000-page monthly duty cycle and very good speed. It averaged 23.4 pages per minute on a PC and 21.5 ppm on a Mac when printing mostly plain text with some simple monochrome graphics. Though the text quality was as good as you'd expect, images suffered from a limited greyscale range and slower print times.
A high-volume office needs cheap toner, and the 5230dn delivers that. Replacement use-and-return cartridges come in $229.90, 7000-page standard and $410.30, 21,000-page high-yield sizes, working out to 3 cents and 1.9 cents per page, respectively. Nonreturnable cartridges are available at a significantly higher cost. The printer even ships with a standard cartridge rather than a lower-capacity "starter" unit. Cartridges are easy to remove and replace; the cartridge itself displays clear illustrations, just in case.
A busy office needs a printer that can keep pace. The Dell 5230dn can do that--and it can grow with your business. The inexpensive toner and generous warranty sweeten the deal.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple & GE Announce IoT Partnership
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Square expands Australian offering with Square Stand
- Seagate joins Bain bid to take control of Toshiba Memory
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Solutions ArchitectOther
- TPProcess AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCMid-Level Oracle SQL DeveloperQLD
- FTBusiness Development Manager - IT RecruitmentOther
- CCIntegration ArchitectQLD
- FTCloud Engineer - AWSOther
- CCMobile Applications DeveloperQLD
- TPFront End DeveloperWA
- FTEAI DeveloperACT
- FTFront-End Developer - BankingVIC
- FTClient PrincipalOther
- CCJava DeveloperQLD
- TPSales Representative/Account Manager - Global CorporationNSW
- FTICT Infrastructure / Server EngineerSA
- CCMultiple Pega Resources Required - Developers & ArchitectsNSW
- CCData Business AnalystNSW
- FTArchsight Delivery ConsultantACT
- FTLevel 3 Desktop EngineerOther
- FTClass Super - Application Support Analyst - SMSF solutionsOther
- FTAutomation Tester - SeleniumACT
- CCDrupal Developer / Site BuilderNSW
- TPSenior ServiceNow ConsultantNSW
- TPAngular DeveloperNSW