Dell Dimension 5150
- Great media capabilities
- Poor benchmark performance
For the price this system is a very decent all round performer.
Price$ 2,198.00 (AUD)
Even though it would void the warranty, this Dell looks like a prime candidate for overclocking. Behind the front panel of the BTX case is a gaping hole for maximum airflow. This flows straight through the PC via the fins of a huge CPU heat sink with a surface area that would rival "The Biggest Loser". It then flows over the heat sink of the video card. The BTX motherboard is made for quiet computing, with only two fans.
Inside is cable heaven, everything is tucked away nicely, increasing airflow. It is also easy to access, with a well-designed tool-less chassis and easy access tool-less hard drive trays. A second tray has been left spare along with two more RAM slots for upgradeability.
Running on a Pentium 4 650 Processor, with HyperThreading, the Dimension let us down somewhat in benchmarking, delivering a score of 77 in PC WorldBench 5 - surprisingly, being held back by its multitasking ability. As expected with the ATI Radeon X600 video card, it scored 1723 in 3DMark, and an average frame rate of 6fps in FEAR on maximum settings.
It comes bundled with Sonic MyDVD and Windows XP Media Center Edition, a 13-in-1 USB 2.0 Hi-Speed media card reader for all flash storage formats and a 7200rpm 250GB hard drive. Couple this with a brilliant 20in LCD screen that supports a resolution of 1680x1050 pixels; a Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music (which sounds incredible with 5.1 support) and the quiet factor, and all of a sudden, the Dimension is very appealing as a media hub. Video-out is also supported in case you have a bigger and better screen.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple Roll Out High Sierra
- Traditional Aussie PC market defies global downward trend again
- ASUS' VivoMini VM45 gets upgraded to 7th Generation Intel processors
- NVIDIA Supercharges Rendering Performance with AI
- HP reboots Omen desktop with more of what gamers love
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Canon 6D MK II
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which case should I buy for the Samsung Galaxy Note 8?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCSenior Business Analyst - BankingVIC
- FTSenior Digital Producer | 6 Month Contract roleNSW
- FTProject AnalystOther
- TPWeb DeveloperSA
- CCSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- FT.Net Developers (.Net / C# / Visual Studio)ACT
- CCLead Service DesignerACT
- CCWindows 10 Deployment TechnicianWA
- FTSenior Change AnalystVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst | Utilities | Multiple PositionsQLD
- FTSenior Java Developer - marketsVIC
- CCService Desk ConsultantNSW
- CCService Delivery Coordinator - TelcoVIC
- CCSAP CRM Functional Consultants - Multiple rolesACT
- FTCustomer Marketing ExecutiveOther
- FTDevOps Engineer | Leading SaaS Product CompanyOther
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- FTDevOps ConsultantVIC
- CCCloud Application ArchitectNSW
- CCLean Six Sigma Black Belt ? 6 month contractVIC
- FTChange Analyst - Business & TransformationOther
- CCSAP Finance AnalystNSW
- CCMigration EngineerNSW
- FTScrum Master, MarketingOther
- CCIdentity & Access Management AnalystVIC