Dell S2330MX LCD monitor
A cheap, thin, but slightly wobbly 23in LCD monitor from Dell
- Slim design
- It's a bit flimsy
Dell's S2330MX monitor is thin and lightweight, which means it looks excellent coupled with a small desktop tower or a laptop. This thin design does mean it's a bit flimsy, but if you've got it set up right the S2330MX is a perfectly capable mid-sized LCD monitor with a reasonable price tag.
Price$ 229.00 (AUD)
Dell’s S2330MX is a very slim, reasonably cheap 23in LCD monitor. Its slim design does mean the stand is a bit flimsy and it’s not very adjustable, but if your needs are basic then it’s a perfectly capable monitor.
Dell S2330MX: Design and setup
The Dell S2330MX is, as $229 23in LCD monitors go, pretty standard. It’s got a reasonably thin bezel that’s finished in gloss black, and the stand is a simple one that’s a little thin for our liking. The majority of the screen’s body is around 7.5mm thick, but the base of the screen bulges to 30mm to accomodate the VGA and DVI-D connectors. There’s no inbuilt HDMI (and no inbuilt speakers) but Dell does ship a DVI-HDMI adapter.
The stand and monitor clip together, with the stand’s base and arm connecting with a single screw. The whole assembly is solid but when trying to tilt the monitor we found it felt slightly flimsy. The S2330MX doesn’t have a great deal of adjustability — there’s no swivel, and only around ten to fifteen degrees of backwards tilt. This is a far cry from the forward and backward tilt and swivel offered by premium Dell monitors like the U2410.
The ports on the back of the Dell S2330MX face outward rather than downward, which makes connection much easier. We hooked the S2330MX up to a Apple MacBook Pro as well as a Sony BDP-S580 Blu-ray player to test image quality.
Dell S2330MX: Video quality and performance
The Dell S2330MX is a Full HD screen, giving it a resolution of 1920x1080 pixels in the 16:9 aspect ratio. The LED backlight means maximum screen brightness is more than high enough for use in direct daylight, and the screen’s anti-glare matte coating does an excellent job of removing distracting reflections.
The S2330MX performed generally well in our video quality tests, where we used DisplayMate to test black and white level performance. With the screen’s settings optimised for the dim environment we tested it in, we were able to distinguish between all but the second darkest and brightest increments in the 256-level black-to-white tone test. This is a good result that reflects the generally high quality of the S2330MX’s display.
The Dell S2330MX stumbles slightly on colour performance, with a very slightly green hue overall in default settings. We did find that dialing down green hues manually by 10 per cent mostly solved this issue, though. Colour vibrancy is OK but not excellent, with our Blu-ray versions of Terminator: Salvation and The Dark Knight looking slightly desaturated.
The on-screen display of the Dell S2330MX is a little confusing to operate — the buttons aren’t in the same place as older Dell monitors so users upgrading will have to re-learn. We don’t expect you’ll have to use the OSD often, but there are seven picture quality presets to choose from (and you can pick different presets per input).
Dell S2330MX: Conclusion
The Dell S2330MX is a capable, although unspectacular, 23in LCD monitor. Our largest concern is that the stand is a bit small and wobbly for the monitor’s screen size. The S2330MX looks great, though.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
Latest News Articles
- HP Omen laptops include a first: Nvidia Max-Q graphics technology
- HP's Omen X Compact Desktop can morph into a backpack VR PC
- HP's Omen Accelerator can give your laptop some guts
- HP reboots Omen desktop with more of what gamers love
- Samsung to detail new Tizen OS for smart home appliances, IoT devices
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Huawei Y5 (2017) Review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTCyber Security Consultant - IT Services - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTMid Level UX DesignerOther
- FTMid Level .NET Developer (Full Stack, Back End focus) - C#Other
- FTPre-Sales Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Network Engineer - CCIEOther
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- FTNetwork Design EngineerOther
- FTSr SQL Developer/Data Migration SpecialistOther
- CCIP Network EngineerNSW
- FTGeneral Manager - Security, Risk & ComplianceNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTTechnical writerNSW
- FTSolution Architect - Enterprise VoiceVIC
- CCTest LeadNSW
- FTMobile Applications DeveloperACT
- FTUX Designer | 9mth ContractOther
- FTDigital Project ManagerWA
- CCTeam Assistant/Executive Assistant - TelcoVIC
- FTData Scientist/Java LeadVIC
- FTLevel 3 Desktop EngineerOther
- FTChange Manager OR Senior Change AnalystOther
- FTDatabase ConsultantOther
- FTMultiple SOC Analyst RolesOther