Digieffects' latest plug-in bolsters After Effect’s 3D toolset
- Excellent, high quality 3D mesh warp tool, displacement map support for advanced mesh creation and animation
- Pricey for a single function plug-in.
Our only criticism of Freeform AE is that it’s pricey for a single function plug-in. However, considering its power and the time it can save you on 3D compositions, it’s more than worth it.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Note: Pricing for this product is in US$.
Digieffects' latest plug-in, Freeform AE, aims to bolster After Effect’s 3D toolset, allowing you to warp layers in 3D in a way that’s just not possible using the core application. It combines a 3D version of After Effects’ own Mesh Warp tool with the ability to distort layers in 3D using an image as a displacement map, creating a cohesive whole that many motion graphics artists will love.
The simplest way to use Freeform AE is like the Mesh Warp Tool. The filter divides your layer into horizontal and vertical zones in the Comp window — up to 20 in each direction. As with the Mesh Warp tool, you can drag each vertex point to warp the surrounding zones — but with Freeform AE, you can drag the points in Z as well as X and Y. This has uses from adding a 3D spin to traditional sports-style motion graphics — literally if you wish, as the warp can be keyframed — to fine tuning lighting VFX by pulling and pushing how it flows over your comp. To make it simpler to use, you can limit the warp to one dimension.
As well as using the same on-screen controls as AE, Freeform AE is also integrated with AE’s 3D system, so you can use the standard set of cameras and lights. This makes including ‘Freeform’-ed layers in complex compositions of 3D layers very easy indeed.
To fine-tune your mesh, you can adjust the smoothness of your 3D mesh by setting the number of subdivisions in each zones (see below). The more subdivisions you have, the nearer to a curve your warp will appear. You can also the level of anti-aliasing and image filtering. Depending on the power of your workstation and the resolution and complexity of your project, you’ll probably want to set these low when working and ramp them up for the final render.
You’ve also got controls over the positioning of the mesh in 3D space, and over what appears on the rear of the layer if it comes into shot — which could be a mirrored version of the front, or even a separate layer.
Modifying a mesh by hand can be time-consuming, so Freeform AE can warp a layer based on a displacement map in a similar way to the Displace function in Re:Vision FX’s RE:Map plug-in. Freeform AE’s power is that you can then use the grid to fine tune this — so for example you could use a radial gradient to bulge a layer in the middle and then distort this manually. For more complex results, you could keyframe the gradient to create a ripple effect.
Digieffects says that Freeform AE ships with ‘dozens’ of presets to make using it even faster, but these weren’t included in our review version.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- MSI GE62 7RD Apache gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCJava DeveloperACT
- FTSAP ISU Billing Consultant - FunctionalVIC
- FTSenior Activations Performance Analyst | $700pdVIC
- FTSenior PHP Developer / Technical LeadQLD
- CCSQL Analyst DeveloperNSW
- FTPeopleSoft Campus Solution ConsultantNSW
- FTSecurity AnalystQLD
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- TPIT Support AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT HealthcareQLD
- FTL&D Manager, Transformation Program in Finance ServicesNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTPrincipal Project ManagerVIC
- FTWeb Developer - Full Stack - VR 3D WebGLNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTBPM DeveloperNSW
- CCConsultant - Hogan Health CheckQLD
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst, Regulatory Reforms, FinanceNSW
- FTImplementation Engineer - NetApp DATA ONTAPWA
- TPTechnical ConsultantACT
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- FTDemand Release ManagerNSW