Dvico FusionHDTV DVB-T Nano
- High Definition TV Tuner, Small design, Excellent performance, Remote control.
- Device heats up quite a bit.
The DVB-T Nano is an incredibly cool and funky device that performs as well as it looks.
Price$ 199.95 (AUD)
DViCO, world renowned for making high quality digital tuner cards, has recently created their most interesting product to date. The DVB-T Nano is a high definition TV tuner roughly the size of the average USB memory stick. It has all the functionality of a regular tuner card, impressively crammed into an incredibly small package. This is perfect for notebook use, essentially creating a portable PVR.
The Nano is silver in colour and has a USB attachment on one end protected by a retractable white cover. The other end of the unit has an RF antenna port and the top has a blue LED activity light, which glows when the device is receiving transmission.
Installing the Nano is very simple. The device is accompanied by PC software which includes all the drivers needed to run the tuner. Once installed, all you need do is plug in the USB tuner and away you go. On first boot, the PVR software prompts the user to check for local broadcast stations. This process is very speedy and only took around 90 seconds to complete. This is on par with most set top boxes and tuner cards we have reviewed thus far.
We were taken aback by how well the Nano worked. For its size, we were expecting poor quality images and spotty performance but the Nano processed the high definition content perfectly on-the-fly and even recorded without any hassles either. Recordings are made in .tp format, a raw data stream file commonly found in many PVR devices and tuner cards. While .tp files can be played in Windows Media Player, they seemed to work better via the DViCO software.
The DViCO software is well designed and looks very modern while also being functional. The configuration options and channel favourites settings are all easy to use and the time shifting feature works well too. The scheduling is also intuitive and simple to use, with an option to shut down the PC after the scheduled recording is finished. Playing back your recordings isn't as easy as it could have been, but once you know where to look for your files choosing which to play back is a breeze. File locations can also be configured through the software. The Electronic Program Guide (EPG) is rather limited due to the poor EPG standards in this country but it can be bolstered extensively by signing up to the ICETV guide.
On top of a high quality product, DViCO also included a small and simple remote control that works perfectly with the Nano. The remote isn't anything new or groundbreaking but it is good to see it included in the package. Overall, we found the Nano simple to use and trouble free. The price tag is a little high for a tuner card but considering it is both high definition and so portable, it is a reasonable cost. However, keep in mind that in order to watch HDTV on the move, you will need to purchase an external antenna, something akin to "rabbit ears".
Join the newsletter!
Why virtualise your NAS environment?
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- Intel launches 800P Optane SSD
- Radeon Software Brings Faster, Smoother Performance to the World’s Most Popular eSports Titles, Thanks to AMD’s Project ReSX
- Logitech try to reinvent the keyboard experience with Logitech CRAFT
- First AMD Ryzen Desktop APUs Featuring World’s Most Powerful Graphics on a Desktop Processor
- MSI AM4 Motherboards are now ready for new AMD 2nd Generation Ryzen Desktop Processors
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCERP Technical AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Development DBA - OracleNSW
- CCNetwork Area Planner x multiple opportunitiesNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCData Warehouse Project Manager - Start June 18QLD
- CCProgram DirectorNSW
- CCScrum MasterACT
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTTechnical Quality Analyst (Payments, data, application integration)VIC
- CCSalesforce Developer - Telco ClientVIC
- FTPronto Systems Support SpecialistVIC
- TPHR Process AnalystVIC
- TPDBA/Data Migration AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperQLD
- FTJunior-Mid Level Release ManagerQLD
- TPProject Support Officer - Mulitple RolesQLD
- FTDesktop Engineer Level 1 - 2Other
- FTTechnical LeadQLD
- CCAgile Project ManagerNSW
- FTNetwork AdministratorVIC
- FTPrincipal Consultant - Scheduling & Planning (Primavera & MSP)Other
- FTSalesforce CRM Scrum Product OwnerOther
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Test Analyst - Multiple rolesOther