EA Games Crysis
- Incredible graphics and cutting-edge technology represent the next level of PC gaming. The Nanosuit abilities enhance the game's open-ended gameplay, game features some of the best enemy A.I. that we have ever seen.
- If you don't own a high-end gaming rig, you won't get the full experience; in fact, you'll have to spend a lot of time making tweaks to the settings to get it running right. DX10 performance is lacklustre: you get great results visually but your system's performance will take a big hit.
Crysis is an enticing adventure all the way through to the end. It's a worthy follow-up to the excellent Far Cry and a great step forward for PC gaming as a whole.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
When Crytek decided to partner up with EA for its next title, it left its Far Cry franchise behind with Ubisoft. But the talented developer held onto its design chops and used it to craft one of the most ambitious PC games ever made in Crysis. With console games currently dominating the market, the PC gaming market has needed a kick in the butt for a long time and Crysis is like a rocket-propelled foot that hits the bullseye.
More than meets the eye
We'll just go ahead and say it: Crysis is the most photorealistic game ever created. Running at its best in DirectX 10 at a high resolution with all the effects cranked up, there is no other game that can come close to matching its visuals. It is definitely leading the PC gaming space to the next plateau. The CryENGINE2 can do marvellous things when it's performing smoothly. The trouble is that it requires a very high-end machine to run properly. The minimum system specs needed to play Crysis in Windows Vista's DX10 mode alone will put this game out of reach of the average gamer, just imagine what sort of machine you'll need to run it with all the effects and features turned up to high.
The bright side is that even in its DX9 mode, Crysis is a great looking game that can hold up graphically to any PC or console game out there. Its use of physics is also explosive and the enemy AI is, without a doubt, the best we've ever seen. The core gameplay is also amazing, constantly challenging you to approach in-game situations in a variety of ways.
An alien discovery
The game's story might be Crysis' one weakness, as it isn't spectacular, but it does a competent job of setting the stage for all the fun you will have during the game. Crysis casts you in the role of Delta Force Commando Jake Dunn who is also known by his call sign, Nomad. Jake airdrops into hostile territory with his team to deal with an international incident involving the North Korean government.
But of course, once Nomad and his team land, things quickly escalate as a mysterious race of aliens who've crash landed on Earth become involved. We won't say anything more about the story, lest we give away any secrets, but again, the beautiful and intense action is the real star of the game and it's helped along by some of the most realistic enemy AI we've ever encountered.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Destiny 2: The 5 key things PC gamers need to know
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft's Phantom Dust remaster brings the cult Xbox classic to PCs, for free
- This year's Steam Summer Sale dates have already leaked
- How to play the Quake Champions open beta this weekend
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCNetwork EngineerVIC
- TPSenior Project ManagerQLD
- FTLevel 3 Service Desk Support Engineer / Project ManagerQLD
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- TPEOI - Developers and Tester (APS)ACT
- FTTest AnalystACT
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksWA
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTInformation Architect / Data Architect- ETL, BINSW
- CCVDI EngineerACT
- FTData Analyst/ Reporting AnalystQLD
- CCSoftware DeveloperVIC
- FTIteration ManagerQLD
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- FTBUSINESS TECHNOLOGY PARTNERVIC
- FTDisaster Recovery AnalystNSW
- FTProject SchedulerQLD
- CCDevOps Engineer with strong Docker skills - Contract - North Shore SydneyNSW
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTsolution ArchitectNSW
- FTSoftware TesterACT
- FTFull Stack Developer - JavaNSW
- FTSupport Engineer Level 3QLD