MSI has long pushed the boundaries of invention with its ever-evolving range of laptops but it has now pulled off a world first with the new MSI Creative 17.
EA Games Madden NFL '08
- Solid A.I, Wii remote adds a novel twist to proceedings.
- Shoddy presentation, annoying and unresponsive controls, no new game modes.
Madden NFL '08 proves once again that the Wii is ill suited to this kind of video game. The PS3 and Xbox 360 versions run rings around it.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
Sorry Wii owners but it looks like you get the short end of the stick yet again: while the Xbox 360 and PS3 get the next great Madden, you get a pared down version that sort of sucks. Oh well, there's always next year, right?
Playing Madden 08 for the Wii makes me wonder if some scientist has finally found a way to travel back into time. I expected the Wii version's graphics to be mediocre and dated when compared to the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions but I wasn't expecting this: the game looks like they took a copy of Madden '05 and just changed the number to an 8.
But that's the least of its problems. First, the game almost requires you to be standing up in order to play it. As with last year's installment, you have to flick the Wii Remote around in order to throw passes, stiff arm defenders and shake tacklers. Sitting down in a chair will only hamper your ability to pull of the necessary moves. Also, make sure that your sensor bar is in good working order because I found that the controls were a little unresponsive.
I was also underwhelmed by the lack of new game modes. Everything is the same as the past two Maddens, which is really disappointing. The one thing I did like about Madden is that the AI is very intelligent you can't simply choose the same homerun play over and over again. You definitely have to be creative with your play calling. Also, as fickle as the Wii controls can be, the fact that you have to physically act out the movements does add an interesting layer of interactivity and realism to the game.
For instance, just like in real life, if you release a pass too early, it will either end up in an interception or with your receiver getting drilled in the ribs. On the flip side, releasing the ball late could end up getting sacked or your pass swatted down. I played quarterback for my high school freshman team so I give props to EA for doing a good job of simulating the quarterback position.
Aside from that, though, Wii owners are once again getting stuck with the short end of the stick. While Xbox 360 and PS3 owners get a slick upgrade over Madden '07, Wii owners get a mediocre and lackluster version. Diehard fans and series n00bs alike should avoid the Wii version, as it's inferior in just about every single way.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel 5 Review: Soft Reboot
- 2 Google Pixel 4a review: The Goldilocks Google phone
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G review: Wrong Number
- 4 LG NANO99 NanoCell 8K TV review: Prestige at a price
- 5 LG Velvet review: Fake it till you make it
Latest News Articles
- Prime Day 2020: Snag a PS4 Pro for $399
- Survey: Social distancing creates 762,000 new Australian gamers
- xCloud game streaming will come to iOS with a browser-based solution
- APC targets console and PC gamers with its Back-UPS Pro Gaming uninterruptible power supply
- You'll soon be able to stream Xbox games to your iPhone
PCW Evaluation Team
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
- Best Australian Amazon Prime Day deals
- Why do gamers like RGB Lights?
- Huawei Matebook X Pro (2020) review: The real deal
- Everything you need to know about Smart TVs
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?