EA Games Rock Band
- Fantastic presentation, great set list, a wealth of modes, easy to gather your friends and rock out!
- Guitar controller has some quirks; worries about the drum controller's durability remain; the $US159.99 price point seems steep, but really, you bought Guitar Hero for $99.95, and that only had one guitar.
Is Rock Band better than Guitar Hero III? The answer will vary and really, it's all about personal taste. Rock Band is probably not the right choice for someone who just wants to shred by themselves in the spotlight. While personal glory is great, we like Rock Band's emphasis on collaboration, having a great time with friends and feeling like an actual musician.
At first glance, Rock Band may seem like a Guitar Hero knock off with more instruments involved, but once you delve into the actual game, you'll see that it's so much more. More than any other rhythm game that has come before it, Rock Band gets you the closest to feeling like a true rock star.
There was always a palpable amount of inevitability surrounding Rock Band. Though Konami technically pioneered the concept first with GuitarFreaks and DrumMania's link-up capability, the arcade-only gameplay and track list filled with unknown bands kept it from ever truly catching on.
When Guitar Hero exploded onto the scene and became an instant smash hit with a great peripheral and awesome track list, everyone knew it was only a matter of time before developers would take the game to the next level. Throw in Harmonix's Karaoke Revolution mechanics, and finally all of the pieces were in place.
Rock Band truly elevates the music rhythm genre above and beyond current definitions. Rock bands are all about making music together, and being a Guitar God in Guitar Hero always felt like a solo affair. Most multiplayer modes had you competing against one of your friends instead of playing with them, while a long line of friends waited behind you to take on the next track. Rock Band strips away the egos of each player as four players must work with each other, from building up insane combos to getting huge multipliers going simultaneously, to saving one of your bandmates from abject failure and more, the essence of Rock Band is playing together.
Karaoke requires a certain kind of determination. Most people love to sing -- who doesn't have a rock-star dream of belting one on stage -- though they usually prefer to keep it confined to cars and showers.
Being embarrassed at a crowded Karaoke bar isn't on everyone's to-do list but Rock Band helps out wanna-be vocalists by making them just another part of the band. Sure, everyone will notice if you sound like a monkey that just got its tonsils removed but your band mates will be too caught up with their axes and drums to notice that you sing like Scott Stapp. Plus, the software does a perfectly sufficient job of tracking pitch, so even the worst warbler will still be half-way successful.
It's not always easy, though as most songs are trying on 'Hard' and unbelievably difficult on 'Expert'. But unless you have terminal stage fright, singing in Rock Band is almost always a good time.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Tannenberg expands Verdun's World War I horrors to the Eastern front
- MSI Wins Computex Best Choice Award 2017 for a Record-Breaking 5 Products
- Destiny 2: The 5 key things PC gamers need to know
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft's Phantom Dust remaster brings the cult Xbox classic to PCs, for free
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- MSI GE62 7RD Apache gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTFull Stack .Net DeveloperWA
- CCJava DeveloperACT
- FTField Engineer - Hardware DeploymentsNSW
- FTSenior Network EngineerNSW
- CCPeopleSoft Functional AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- CCInfrastructure ArchitectACT
- CCApplications Support/ DevOps EngineerQLD
- CCPega DeveloperNSW
- FTElectronic Payments POS Business Analyst - Permanent - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTSenior System EngineerNSW
- CCSoftware DeveloperVIC
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCJava Developer - IntergrationQLD
- TPEnterprise Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCEnd to End Project ManagerVIC
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerWA
- FTBUSINESS TECHNOLOGY PARTNERVIC
- FTState IT Systems EngineerTAS
- CCTechnical WriterVIC
- FTSoftware DeveloperQLD