Secure and Save before time runs out with Bitdefender Exclusive Clearance Offer! Get Bitdefender Total Security 2018 Now!
EA Games The Simpsons Game
- Plenty of fun and humour, looks amazing, lots of characters from the show
- Terrible controls, annoying camera
People looking for a few laughs and a good time will probably like this game a lot. As a fan of the show, it was nice to see the Simpsons finally land a good game.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
The bar for games based on the Simpsons is pretty low, so it might not be a huge deal to state that this is the best Simpsons game ever. While there are some major problems with controls and a very finicky camera, the Simpsons game is a lot of fun.
A lot of the Simpsons Game is recycled plots and inside jokes from previous episodes, but the action is heightened and intense as a giant statue turned-to-life from a Tree-house of Horror episode rampages Springfield while a horde of mini-Krusties attack you from all sides. We think people with even a cursory understanding of the cartoon will get a kick out of these sequences, while show veterans have plenty of Easter eggs and side jokes to keep them entertained.
Each member of Simpsons has their own special moves unique to their individual personalities: Marge uses a megaphone to take control of Springfield citizens and Homer belches flumes of toxic gas. However, the controls feature an annoying learning curve and are awkward and unresponsive. Many of the missions have only one way path to completion and we found ourselves having to constantly retry moves that should have otherwise been very simple. The camera angles can sometimes work against you too, so it's important to be aware of your surroundings at all times or find yourself hurtling down a fiery pit.
Each level pairs two Simpsons together and you can switch back and forth between them, though transitions can be sloppy. Luckily characters automatically regain health and resurrect so long as the other character is still alive.
Graphics are definitely a highlight. You often get the sense that you've entered Springfield and are actually controlling the actual cartoon. A lot of the environment is interactive, and aside from the messy controls, it can be a lot of fun moving through the city in between missions. This also gives you a chance to interact with everyone from Bumble Bee Man, Reverend Lovejoy and just about any other character you can think of. In fact, comments from characters like Kent Brockman and Prof. Frink had us laughing so hard we had to pause the game.
People looking for a few laughs and a good time will probably like this game a lot. As a fan of the show, it was nice to see the Simpsons finally land a good game, but purist gamers will be annoyed with the controls and therefore consider this one a renter. But despite all of the control issues, for our money, this is one of the most fun games we've played in a while.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P20 Pro review: See it and believe the hype
- 2 Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- 3 Samsung Q9F Series QLED: Peak performance from a home entertainment heavyweight
- 4 Sony Xperia XA2 review: One last hurrah for OmniBalance
- 5 Fitbit Versa review: New look, better price, same limits
Latest News Articles
- Upcoming Overwatch Contenders Finals set for Melbourne Esports Open
- League of Legends to headline Melbourne's first Esports Open
- E3 2018: Every big game announcement and trailer
- Computex 2018: CoolerMaster have new a mouse that can count your kills
- Computex 2018: Everything new announced and shown by MSI
PCW Evaluation Team
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
- Huawei P20 Pro review: See it and believe the hype
- Computex 2018: Nvidia launches new AI-focused hardware and software platforms
- Computex 2018: Everything you missed at Asia's biggest tech tradeshow
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?