EA Games The Simpsons Game
- Amazing graphics that bring Springfield to life, writing is superb
- Awful camera, controls and load times
All in all, The Simpsons Game is a good effort, but some glaring flaws really hold it back. If you can get around the wonky camera and less than stellar controls, you're in for some genuine laughs, but you'll probably end up feeling more frustrated than anything else.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
We were so hyped up about The Simpsons Game. As a big fan of the show, we wanted another chance to romp around in our favourite fictional city with our favourite animated family!
Unfortunately, while the game does some things right, it's lacklustre in some key areas, which keeps it from being the end-all, be-all Simpsons game that we wanted it to be.
Jeebus would be ashamed...
First off, the controls suck. We mean, they really suck. They suck so bad that they often detracted from the on-screen fun. For instance, each character has, in one form or another, a type of targeting system -- Marge uses hers to aim her megaphone while Bart uses his to aim his slingshot. Unfortunately, the control scheme never works reliably, and having to deal with unresponsive controls and bad targeting drained the fun out of moments in which we were actually enjoying the hilarious mission we were on. Had the developers took more time to polish the controls, we'd be treated to a much finer gaming experience. Compounding the issue was the fact that many of the missions were time based, and we would repeatedly fail missions just because of the controls.
Lights! Camera! Inaction!
Secondly, the camera is god-awful. This is a problem common to these types of games, but you would figure a powerhouse company like EA wouldn't make such a blatant mistake. There were far too many instances when my view of the action was completely blocked and attempting to fix the angle only made things worse. If it weren't for the amazing visuals and smooth frame-rate, we would've completely given up on the game.
Though, those awesome graphics were traded for ridiculous load times. Sure, we've come to expect a short wait when, say, a mission is loading but to have to endure through lag after switching out characters is ridiculous.
Welcome to Springfailed
The biggest tragedy is that The Simpsons Game is a decent title, and had these major issues been addressed, it would have fared much better. Springfield and all its denizens are recreated faithfully and the free-roaming, GTA-like mission structure gives you the opportunity to just walk around and take in the sights.
The game's story is also brilliant, thanks to some great writing. Seriously, if the animated show still had writing this good, I'd feel more compelled to actually watch it on a regular basis.
Join the newsletter!
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Apple iPhone X
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Xbox One X
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 2 Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- 3 Acer Spin 5 review: Value for money but conditions apply
- 4 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 5 Sony LF-S50G review: Google Assistant and then some
Latest News Articles
- Overwatch League draws millions of eyes in first week
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By MadCatz
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By Razer
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By HyperX
- CES 2018: HyperX announces Wireless Cloud Flight Headset and RGB range
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSenior Digital Producer/Digital Program ManagerOther
- FTSAP UI5 Developer - Multiple OpportunitiesOther
- FTNatural/ADABAS ProgrammerOther
- FTSOE ArchitectOther
- CCIteration Manager - TelcoVIC
- FTSenior DevOps EngineerOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - MortgagesOther
- CCSecurity Operations SpecialistQLD
- FTProject ManagerOther
- FTProject Manager | 12mth ContractOther
- FTPython Developer - FinTech/TradingOther
- CCBusiness Analyst - Business Process Improvement - Six Sigma Black BeltVIC
- CCProject Administrator OR project coordinatorNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager - Financial ServicesQLD
- FTFull stack DeveloperOther
- CCMiddleware SpecialistNSW
- FTNatural/ADABAS ProgrammerVIC
- FTIT Support OfficerWA
- CCNetwork operation engineerVIC
- FTSolution Architect- SAP S/4 HANA - Orange NSWOther
- CCTechnical Consultant - FortifyACT
- FTSenior Healthcare Pre-Sales Exec. / Clinical Advisor - Perm - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCDesktop EngineerQLD
- CCProcess Improvement LeadNSW
- FTICT Solution ArchitectACT