EA Games Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08
- Nice control refinements; Confidence factor and new putting scheme up the challenge
- Accuracy with analogue stick swing is hard to gauge; animations slow gameplay
No doubt about it Tiger Woods 08 offers up an excellent round of 360 golf. The game-play upgrades are right on and GamesNet promises unlimited potential for online action. If you're any kind of video game golf fan, tee this sucker up!
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
The Tiger Woods franchise has been rolling along on auto-pilot for several seasons now, but the '08 offering is prepared to up the ante for new-gen golfers. EA's Tiburon studio, fortress stronghold for Madden Football, NCAA Football, and NASCAR among others, has taken on the challenge of revitalizing Tiger's namesake and they're hitting all the greens.
As expected there are cosmetic upgrades all around. Photo Game Face enables you to map photos from a digital camera to your created golfer's noggin. There are seventeen courses including five new ones, eight new golfers, and a load of fresh animations--maybe a few too many. As good as they look, after a while you consistently find yourself punching buttons to get through to the action. But where the new Tiger really shines is with some fresh game-play improvements.
Improving Your Swing
Some key control changes really smooth out your golf game. For one, the three-click swing returns as an easy-to-access option. This is a nice complement to the game's standard analogue stick swing technique. Breaking your swing into button presses is more accurate than the hard-to-gauge stick, particularly when you're trying to save par from the rough or from out of the bunkers.
When you get your basics in gear, Tiger 08 enables you to work on your confidence to improve your game. The A.I. analyses how well you're playing for each shot you take and records this data for all future matches. This stat, measured as Confidence, affects the size of the True Aiming targeting circle (from last year), which covers the approximate area where you're aiming your shot. The more confident you are the better your odds of making that shot.
On the green the game ups the challenge level. Vets might roll their eyes at yet another adjustment to the putting game, but this one's a welcome nudge. You're still working with the familiar putting grid system, but the new Putt Line View gives you only one look at the actual path of your putt. Then you're on your own. You'll be loving the return of three-click putting here.
Online Tiger is introducing GamerNet for a major focus on community-building. This is basically a collection of video channels where you can upload your best shots, best rounds, or goofy golf hijinks using the game's excellent replay feature. GamerNet will also display its own challenges, which you can try to beat, such as longest drives or best course scores. Players can also upload challenges of their creation with stipulating factors, too. The mind reels at the possibilities (hit two bystanders, stay on the fairway).
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Destiny 2: The 5 key things PC gamers need to know
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft's Phantom Dust remaster brings the cult Xbox classic to PCs, for free
- This year's Steam Summer Sale dates have already leaked
- How to play the Quake Champions open beta this weekend
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Moto G5 smartphone: full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCSalesforce Marketing CloudNSW
- CCBlue Prism DeveloperVIC
- FTClient Onboarding ManagerNSW
- FTProject SchedulerSA
- TPProject Manager | Applications and Project InitiationQLD
- CCInfrastructure Test ManagerNSW
- FTSenior IT Project ManagerSA
- TPDigital Process Business Analyst - Digital Transformation**NSW
- CCState-wide Business Transition Lead - BrisbaneVIC
- FT.NET DeveloperVIC
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD
- FTSolution ArchitectWA
- FTDigital Business Analyst | Online BookingQLD
- FTLooking for Software TestersACT
- FTSecurity ConsultantVIC
- CCWintel Support EngineerVIC
- CCSolution DesignerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst | Recruitment Focus | DocklandsVIC
- FTData Analyst/ Reporting AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Process ModellerNSW
- FTSenior PHP Developer / Technical LeadQLD
- FTProject SchedulerQLD
- FTSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTQueue ManagerACT