Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14 (Xbox 360)
The latest instalment of Tiger Woods Golf somehow manages to squeeze in several new features
- Several worthwhile additions to the annual title
- Kinect support adds a new dimension to gameplay
- Upgrading from last year’s edition can be somewhat difficult to justify
- Playing with the Kinect is novel but still suffers from inaccuracies
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14 is a worthwhile addition to the long-running golfing franchise, though fans will have to decide if the new features are enough for an upgrade.
Price$ 78.00 (AUD)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour is back for its annual round of golf, and it manages to surprisingly squeeze in several new features. That is no mean feat for a franchise that has been coming out annually since Tiger Woods PGA Tour 99 in 1998.
Players who have gone hands-on with the game at some point in the franchise know what to expect, but for the uninitiated, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14 lets players travel to some of the most recognisable golf courses around the world. It also lets you play as some of the leading athletes in the sport, whether it's current players such as Tiger Woods or past legends such as Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer.
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14 stands out from past instalments by featuring 20 championship courses, the largest number of courses in any instalment of the franchise. There are five new courses in total, with the key addition being Muirfield Village, a favourite of Jack Nicklaus.
The player roster has been bumped up to a total of 35, though the additions will mainly be recognisable to fans of the sport, as most of the golf legends have already been immortalised in past games.
No doubt in an attempt to broaden the market for the game, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14 features the LPGA in the career mode for the first time. Players keen to see what the female-only golf tournament is like now have the option to do so, though in reality the experience does not vary that much from the regular PGA experience.
Another interesting feature EA has added to the game is night golf, letting the golfer to play in a non-typical environment with the help of an illuminated ball. The different lighting conditions do mix up the playing strategy somewhat, mainly adding a new layer of challenge for those already familiar with courses in daytime conditions.
Microsoft Kinect support makes a debut with the Xbox 360 version of the game, letting the player use both motion and controls during gameplay. The Kinect was designed for these types of virtual reality gaming experiences in mind, and while the motion controls work most of the time, the occasional imprecision of the Kinect camera means that the player’s full body movements are not always accurately converted into the desired golf swing.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
Latest News Articles
- Absolver celebrates 250K sales with new masks
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Fullbright Founders To Headline Melbourne International Games Week 2017
- MSI GE73 7RF VR Raider Gaming Laptop: Full, in-depth review
- Sony ghillie up with new Call of Duty bundle
PCW Evaluation Team
- Huawei Y5 (2017) Review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTMid Level UX DesignerOther
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- TPSenior Security Consultant - WirelessNSW
- TPSAP Process ControlQLD
- FTPMO/Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTSenior Change AnalystVIC
- FTTechnical Lead - PHP DeveloperQLD
- FTNon - functional Test LeadVIC
- FTTechnical Writer - Cloud HostingVIC
- CCSenior Marketing SpecialistVIC
- FTClient Services OfficerOther
- TPSenior Change ManagerNSW
- CCPMO Resource ManagerNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerACT
- FTMEAN Stack DeveloperACT
- CCTest LeadNSW
- FTSenior Technical Business Analyst/BSAOther
- CCJunior and Senior SQL DeveloperACT
- FTSolutions Architect - Metering Systems / AMIOther
- FTScrum Master / Senior Business AnalystOther
- CCData Business AnalystNSW
- CCLinux AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - BillPayOther
- FTBilling Consultant - TelecommunicationsOther