Easy WebContent web-page editing service
- Easy to use, affordable, great for novices
- Previews in Firefox come out compressed, can't create or edit CSS files
The average human being who has no Web design experience but who can use Microsoft Word will find working with Easy WebContent a breeze. It's well worth the price to avoid the learning curve of expensive products that offer more than you need.
Price$ 9.95 (AUD)
NOTE: This product has a monthly fee of $9.95
The Easy WebContent website-editing service more than lives up to its name. And it's inexpensive.
It is a rare but unalloyed pleasure to try a product or service for which you have only modest expectations, and find yourself blown out of the water. Easy WebContent, an online service designed to take the fuss out of editing Web pages, is that good.
In fact, Easy WebContent is a $9.95-per-month service that's better than most stand-alone Web-design applications we've used over the past 10 years or so.
Easy WebContent isn't designed to compete with an Adobe Dreamweaver-scale product; it's meant to help average mortals update Web pages. And in that market, it has no rival.
Online services such as Mr Site use template approaches that restrict what you can do with your site; Easy WebContent comes much closer than its template-oriented competitors to being a Web design application.
To upload new and revised files for your Web site with Easy WebContent, you just enter the FTP (File Transfer Protocol) settings that most Web hosts provide. The service doesn't help you create a site – it's really for editing existing pages you've already designed or had a designer create. Nor does it include any e-commerce tools.
To get started, you set up an account with Easy WebContent and enter the FTP log-in information for one or more Web sites that you want to manage through the service. The service retrieves an index of all the files in each hosted site, broken down into separate File Manager lists for each site. Easy WebContent lets you edit Web pages without changing the Web server's configuration. Most users, especially those using basic hosting services, have no access to Web server settings that more-elaborate products require, including installing special scripts.
The File Manager has just three links per HTML file: Edit, Preview, and Delete. As in an operating system file list, the file type, size, and last modified date are all shown. Click Edit, and what you see is what you get (Wysiwyg) on-screen editor appears.
We found it easy to revise existing copy; add tables; resize, flip and crop images; and even add forms. (The forms produce simple e-mail results, but that's fine for most purposes.)
Although you can't create or edit CSS files – which define the appearance and formatting of type and layout throughout your site – the styles we had previously defined for a site appeared in the pop-up menu, making it easy to apply those pre-existing styles to new elements.
As a result, the software is appropriate for a site in which a designer constructs a complicated format but less-tech-savvy people are responsible for updating the pages. The designer need only provide instructions to editors on which styles to use where.
The site supports several browsers. In our testing, the only glitch we saw was in how the software previewed a page in Firefox. The live graphical editing displayed fine, but the preview of the finished page was compressed into a thin horizontal frame in the middle.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 2 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 3 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 4 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 5 Xbox One X review: Brave new world
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Businesses jump on Amazon’s Alexa after Australian launch date revealed
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- TPBusiness Analyst/Project ManagerQLD
- FTInternal Recruiter - TelecommunicationsOther
- FTUser Access AdministratorSA
- FTSystem and Software TestersACT
- CCData Migration Analyst / DBAQLD
- CCSenior Systems AnalystACT
- CCProject Coordinator / Junior Project ManagerNSW
- CCCyber Security Business AnalystACT
- CCUnity 3D Developer (Mobile)NSW
- FTCustomer Support (PAS) Professional- Level 2 - HealthcareVIC
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCNetwork Engineer/DesignerVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTAccount ManagerSA
- CCInfrastructure EngineerNSW
- FTSAP Finance Project ManagerOther
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTCloud Systems EngineerOther
- FTDeveloper - PERLOther
- TPContract ManagerACT
- TPProject Manager/Stream LeadQLD
- CCCyber Security Business AnalystNSW
- FTDNS Security SpecialistOther
- FTTechnical Support - Level 3ACT