Echologic 11in Digital Photo Frame
A good choice in a competitive market
- Good quality panel, impressive built-in speakers
- Disappointing format support
Echologic's 11in Digital Photo Frame has a great quality screen and simple interface which make for a great experience overall. The only flaw is its lack of format support.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
The 11in Digital Photo Frame is a fitting addition to Echologic's range of quality digital photo frames. The 11in version retains the functionality of the company's smaller models, but doubles internal flash storage to 256MB. In combination with an appealing design and a good quality LCD, this photo frame is an excellent option in a competitive market.
Echologic has bypassed the plastic frame common to most of its competitors, opting instead for a real wood frame with a red cherry finish. This design is appealing and will suit most situations around the home. A cream border on the inside of the frame adds to this design, but it can make the LCD display seem smaller than it actually is. Nevertheless, the design is relatively impressive, and 11 inches is a suitable size for proper photo viewing at a reasonable distance.
Echologic has provided support for most major media cards, including XD, CompactFlash, MemoryStick, MMC and SD cards, as well as a USB port for flash drives and digital cameras. We were pleased to note that there are individual slots for most types of card, as universal card slots can sometimes be awkward to use. A second USB port allows the frame to connect to a computer, acting as a multi-card reader. Unfortunately, we found format support inadequate. Formats were limited to JPEG for photos, MP3s for audio and AVI Motion JPEG for video. This choice of formats will suit many users, but a lack of wider photo and video format support may detract from the frame's appeal to the tech savvy.
The frame's menu interface is functional, if a little ugly. The photo frame automatically displays the photos or videos of any available input device, and so the menu isn't always necessary. Nevertheless, the menu does provide the user with simple access to relevant media and their relative settings and options. The file browser may be redundant in most cases, but it is still welcome. Colour and brightness settings can be accessed from within a slideshow, and are easily adjustable using the supplied remote control.
Unlike most photo frames on the market, we were quite impressed by the frame's LCD panel. With an impressive resolution of 800x480 pixels, the display was great for viewing photos. Colour reproduction was accurate, with only some instances of slightly exaggerated flesh tones. Some pixelation did occur in high quality shots, but quality was generally acceptable. Unfortunately, the panel's 15:9 aspect ratio caused some cropping of landscape shots; there wasn't an option to change this besides rotating the picture. Nevertheless, portrait shots were fine, with no evidence of stretching to compensate for the widescreen panel. Due to a dedicated built-in graphics processor, the frame is quite fast in comparison to its competitors, though there was still some lag when transitioning between photos.
The frame's built-in speakers were of a surprisingly high quality. Rated at 1.5W each, the two built-in speakers managed to provide an acceptable amount of mid-range for their size. While they don't match up to dedicated speakers, their ability to play music at a decent volume with a listenable quality gives this frame an advantage compared to its competitors.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- WalabotDIY, the 3D Imaging Tool That Gives Consumers ‘Superman-Vision’, Launches Today in Australia
- Google Certifies Insta360 Pro as First ‘Street View Auto Ready’ Camera
- Australian startup launches Tiller Kickstarter campaign
- Anki Arrives In Oz
- Griffin's PowerMate is the Surface Dial dead-ringer that's trapped in Mac land
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE DeveloperACT
- CCProcess LeadNSW
- TPNetwork EngineerVIC
- FTJava Software Engineers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- FTSenior Data Centre OperatorOther
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- CCSAP EAM Functional AnalystQLD
- TPSenior Business Analyst - GISQLD
- FTNetwork Lead AcrhitectNSW
- FTDigital BAOther
- CCSalesforce Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- FTAgile Digital Business AnalystQLD
- TPProject ManagerNSW
- FTProduct Support ManagerVIC
- FTProject Coordinator - PC DeploymentsOther
- FTNetwork Support Engineer - HFC and FTTxOther
- CCProject Manager - CRMQLD
- FTMid Level UX DesignerOther
- FTTest Analyst, TOSCAOther
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE DeveloperNSW
- TPProject Services - Support RolesACT
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantACT
- FTBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTTechnical Digital Producer | 6 Month ContractOther