Edifier Luna 5 encore iF500 ipod dock
Luna 5 iPod dock houses a subwoofer, two tweeters and two mid-range speakers, delivering great audio.
- Great audio quality no matter the genre of music, works with range of MP3 devices and CD players
- Unusual design may not have wide appeal, remote control layout is not intuitive
Luna 5 iPod dock houses a subwoofer, two tweeters and two mid-range speakers, delivering good quality audio at a great price.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
The Edifier Luna 5 encore iF500 is an iPod dock that gets its name due to its space-age design. With its giant sphere-like shape, this docking station would fit right in as a prop in 2001: A Space Odyssey, perhaps as HAL’s mistress, or maybe even his mother.
Edifier claims that the Luna 5 is a "statement of design excellence" and an "elegant all-in-one audio system offering uncompromised audio quality". Design wise, it might appeal to a niche market of people who want strange, and unusually shaped ornaments in their abode, and it should also be noted that when you put it under your shirt, it looks like a very unconvincing pregnancy (see fig. 1)
Fig.1: The fake pregnancy. (Ed – That’s really not convincing me)
The Luna 5 is basically a sphere that houses five speakers (a subwoofer, two tweeters and two mid-range speakers). At the base of the sphere lies the iPod dock, which is compatible with a plethora of iPod’s, from the iPod Mini to the iPhone. On both sides of the glossy piano black dock there are touch sensitive controls which illuminate when the device it switched on. A large remote control is included with the Encore 5 and it mirrors the functions that are on the unit itself, but it also includes bass and treble controls. In our tests, we found the remote was not intuitive to use; the iPod navigation buttons are located way above the central OK, skip and play/pause buttons. We kept pressing pause thinking we were pressing the down button.
Initially, we thought that having five speakers placed so close together would ruin the overall audio quality, but the Luna 5 surprised us. Rather than drown each other out, the speakers work quite well together and give a great stereo sound.
The mid-range speakers do a good job of delivering tones in between the bass and treble, while the 5.7in sub woofer works well with any genre of music (pop, rock, opera, classical, electronic and techno tunes were used in out tests), supplying clear and deep tones; the bass doesn’t drown out the two 1-inch tweeters, which are responsible for producing clear high frequencies.
As previously mentioned, the Luna 5 docks with a multitude of Apple media players; thankfully, the device isn’t restricted to Apple alone. An auxiliary port at the front of the unit allows for the connection of any other type of MP3 device or CD player.
Built in to the Luna 5 is an FM radio, but in our tests, its reception was not good at all. You'll be lucky if you can tune clearly into your favourite stations. For the most part, the Edifier Luna 5 if500 should be used to listen to your own music, and it will do a great job of that.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 2 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 3 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 4 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 5 Xbox One X review: Brave new world
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCDigital DesignerNSW
- FTService Design Analyst- Service Management Specialist- ITILOther
- FTGraduate Data Scientist/ Data AnalystWA
- CCCisco Engineer - Perth basedQLD
- FTUnix/Linux System Administrator - PERMANENT ROLEQLD
- FTLead Business Analyst - Senior Digital ConsultantACT
- CCProcurement AnalystNSW
- CC.Net Integration Lead DeveloperNSW
- FTCustomer Service ConsultantOther
- CCFull Stack Web DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork Engineers IMS Platform and HLR\HSS systems experienceOther
- FTSenior Technical Project Manager - starting in 3-4 monthsACT
- CCAutomation Engineer/ Linux DevOps EngineerQLD
- CCProject Manager - Security/Cyber Security - CanberraNSW
- TPSenior Project Manager - Risk & Financial CrimeNSW
- CCTechnology Architect x 3NSW
- CCSenior IT Business AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Financial MarketsVIC
- FTProject Manager - Business EfficienciesOther
- CCMigration SpecialistVIC
- FTContinuous Improvement - Lean ConsultantOther
- FTControl Systems SpecialistSA
- FTIT Project ManagerOther
- CCSharePoint DeveloperACT
- FTWindows 10 Deployment ManagerACT