Edifier MP300 Plus speaker system
With so many bulky, poorly designed portable speakers on the market that lack decent audio quality, the Edifier MP300 Plus is like a breath of fresh air
- Great audio quality at a competitive price
- Mid-range slightly lacking
The Edifier MP300 Plus speakers offer great audio quality but don't cost a fortune.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
The Edifier MP300 Plus is a small yet surprisingly powerful portable speaker system. It comes with two tiny satellite speakers and a 9-Watt tubular subwoofer that's just 28cm long. Despite their diminutive size, they have enough power to easily fill an apartment's lounge room with superb audio.
The Edifier MP300 Plus portable speakers are an ideal companion to an MP3 player, a home PC or even a work computer. The system has an understated design; the subwoofer has a brushed aluminium finish, and there is a metal weave grill over the two spherical satellite speakers.
Setting up the speakers is simple. On the back of the subwoofer is an audio-in port to connect the satellite speakers, then you simply connect the system to a line-out port on your PC, notebook or MP3 player. The speakers have their own power supply, so once you switch them on you can begin marvelling at their great audio quality.
We tested MP300 Plus with a varied selection of tracks, ranging from gritty rock to drum 'n' bass, and the speakers proved their worth by catering to different musical tastes with ease. One slight flaw of the MP300 Plus speakers' sound quality is the mid-range. It's not very prominent and the sound tends to be a dominated by a lot of high frequencies.
The bass is excellent; the subwoofer handles high volumes with ease. There is virtually no distortion when the volume is turned up, as the bass doesn’t muffle the details of the music in the slightest.
As with any audio product, the main selling point is the sound quality and in this respect the Edifier MP300 Plus certainly delivers. Priced at $99, you certainly get bang for your buck; they also have a solid build quality and are rather pleasing to the eye.
One let-down with the MP300 Plus speakers is that they require AC power. Considering that the main function of the speakers is to connect to a notebook and that they have been dubbed 'portable', one would assume that Edifier could have made the speakers USB-powered.
In Edifier's defence, however, the subwoofer requires more power than can be delivered by USB alone — sound quality takes precedence over convenience in this instance. The speakers are portable purely in the sense that you can move them quickly from room to room. They even come with a carry case, so you can transport them safely.
With so many bulky, poorly designed portable speakers on the market that lack decent audio quality, the Edifier MP300 Plus is like a breath of fresh air. These speakers are affordable and of excellent quality, and their unobtrusive design makes them ideal for someone with limited desk space. Their light weight also makes them ideal for travel.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 HTC U11 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Gigabyte Aero 15 corporate gaming laptop review
- 3 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 4 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Judge paves the way for British hacker's extradition to US
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- MSI GL62M 7RDX gaming laptop review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSenior .Net Full Stack DeveloperOther
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTPresales Solution Architect - NetworksVIC
- FTBusiness Development Manager - TechnologyACT
- FTSAP ICT TrainerOther
- FTAgile Technical Business Analyst, Digital, Financial ServicesNSW
- FTSenior Application Support SpecialistQLD
- FTSCCM Engineer / SpecialistOther
- FTSecurity Solutions ManagerWA
- FTSoftware Tech Lead | C++ | Trading | Market ConnectivityOther
- FTFinancial AnalystOther
- TPJava DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst, Investment FundsNSW
- FTTransition Consultant - SMSF SoftwareOther
- CCICT Training ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Program AnalystOther
- TPSenior Change ManagerACT
- FTIT Procurement Advisor | Financial ServicesQLD
- FTLead API DeveloperNSW
- FTLinux Support EngineerOther
- TPSenior Business Intelligence AnalystQLD
- CCMigration Project ManagerNSW
- CCPeoplesoft campus solution consultant/TesterNSW
- CCJunior Network Designer - Telco - GISVIC
- FTFull Stack .Net DeveloperWA