Eizo FlexScan S2231W
- Beautiful colours, rich black level, no backlight seepage, excellent luminance
- You've got to pay a high price if you want the best quality
Vibrant colours and immaculate details are displayed by this Eizo FlexScan monitor, which make it a joy to use. However, you will have to fork out a fair bit of cash to procure it.
Price$ 1,540.00 (AUD)
The picture quality from this 22in screen is sublime and the primary reason for that is its wide colour gamut, which is said to encompass up to 92 per cent of the Adobe RGB colour space. What this means is that it's not your everyday monitor, but is instead aimed at photographers and anyone else who works with digital images that will be published.
It's a widescreen monitor with a native resolution of 1680x1050 on its 22in viewable area. But the main selling point is its colour gamut, which certainly seemed to make a huge difference when the FlexScan was compared against mainstream monitors placed next to it. The FlexScan showed much more vibrancy, especially in green and purple colours, but not only that, its luminance was superb.
We couldn't see any backlight seepage and its black and white levels were rendered perfectly during our tests. The darkest grey colour levels were viewable on a black background, but we did have to play with the contrast slightly in order to get the lightest light-grey colour to show up on a white background. Shades of grey were spot on, and indeed, all primary and secondary colours looked accurate in our DisplayMate tests.
While the price point of this monitor is much higher than what you'd expect for a 22in model, the difference in colour reproduction is very noticeable. When running through photographs, colours were once again vibrant, skin tones were rendered accurately, while shadowed areas and fine details were clearly viewable. Meanwhile, bright colours stood out and dark colours were rich.
The uniformity of the screen was excellent during our tests, as we didn't notice any dull patches, and the screen was easily viewable from the sides, although images did look slightly more pale. With an 8ms grey-to-grey response time, video was displayed without any noticeable blurring in our tests.
Physically, the Eizo sits on a stand that not only swivels and rises, but also pivots, so you can change its orientation when viewing page layouts. USB ports are located on the left-hand side on the monitor and it even has speakers, although you wouldn't know by looking at it.
The controls for the on-screen display are easy to use and the menu system allows for comprehensive changes to be made to the monitor's colour and luminance settings. Furthermore, it has a sensor on the front panel, which, when enabled, can adjust the brightness of the monitor depending on the amount of ambient light present in your environment. This is a very handy feature which worked well during our evaluation. It'll automatically tone down the brightness when the room gets dark so that you don't get uncomfortable.
In a nutshell, the Eizo FlexScan S2231W is all class. It's one of the types of monitors, which as reviewers, we hate to look at because it makes our work screen look so darn lifeless. We don't have a problem recommending this monitor if photography is how you make your living, or even if it's a serious hobby. If you can afford it, you should definitely consider it.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By ASUS
- BenQ Celebrates Modern Sleekness with Newest Monitors for Home and Office
- AOC Unveils AG322QCX AGON Gaming Display Bolstered for Battle
- Samsung announces Australian availability for its 49-inch CHG90 QLED Monitor
- BenQ Announces the EW3270ZL Eye Care Monitor with Immaculate Colour Reproduction
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- TPFinance Integration LeadQLD
- FTSharePoint DeveloperOther
- TPBusiness Analyst - Health PASQLD
- FTLevel 2 Support EngineerVIC
- FTSenior Security EngineerOther
- TPProject Manager - eFormsQLD
- FTLevel 2 Support EngineerVIC
- FTSenior Sharepoint DeveloperOther
- FTLead Business Analyst - Senior Digital ConsultantACT
- FTDesktop Support Engineer - Onsite - UrgentOther
- CCJunior Project AnalystVIC
- FTHelpDesk Support TechnicianOther
- FTService Management LeadOther
- CCBusiness Analyst (Junior - Mid Level)NSW
- FTSAP Business Analyst x 4NSW
- FTService Asset & Configuration ManagerNSW
- TPSystems AnalystVIC
- TPChange Manager | Finance System ImplementationQLD
- FTSenior Checkpoint Security EngineerOther
- CCImplementation EngineerWA
- FTAccount Manager-Multiple RolesSA
- FTSalesforce/CRM Product Owner (CSPO)Other
- FTSenior Digital Frontend Developer, UX & Web TechnologyOther
- FTService Now Alfabet integration specialistOther
- CCReact DeveloperQLD