EMC Corporation Retrospect Express HD 2.0
- Retrospect Express HD makes getting into a backup routine a simple process.
- The lack of a traditional, option-filled configuration dialogue box takes a bit of getting used to.
This reliable and extremely easy-to-use backup program is more expensive than competing apps.
Price$ 66.50 (AUD)
With so many users backing up to hard drives, it's a wonder EMC didn't start selling its super-easy-to-use Retrospect Express HD 2.0 backup program sooner. Previously available only when bundled with Maxtor's OneTouch hard drives, Retrospect Express HD has received a mild overhaul and now has been released on its own. We tested a shipping version of the $66.50 application and found it as simple and intuitive to use as its full-blown Retrospect Professional cousin is complex and obtuse.
Unlike the Professional version, Express HD is a single-job software: one full backup, then incremental backups of a single data set. Users can't tell it to run different jobs at different times with different data sets, as is available with Pro.
Retrospect Express HD makes getting into a backup routine a simple process. Backups are configured via an attractive step-by-step wizard and managed using a system tray menu. We found that the lack of a traditional, option-filled configuration dialogue box took a bit of getting used to, but in the end, Retrospect Express HD's keep-it-simple, set-it-and-forget-it philosophy quickly won us over.
Many low-cost backup programs simply copy files, leaving the file structure intact for easy browsing using Windows Explorer. Express HD 2.0, while it can do this as well, defaults to a traditional approach of consolidating everything into a single compressed backup file. While users will have to reinstall Express HD to browse a compressed backup in the event disaster strikes, it also means better security, easier internal cataloguing, and easier on-demand restoration of files.
The biggest problem I had with Retrospect Express HD is its price: $66.50 is awfully steep for a program without disaster recovery, and there's stiff competition that are less expensive.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Trend Micro Strengthens its Security Offerings in Trend Micro Security
- Here's the Apple macOS High Sierra release date
- Adobe and Microsoft expand productivity partnership
- Huawei CEO Talks Up AI Ambitions At IFA
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Huawei Y5 (2017) Review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCNetwork Engineer - Cleveland BasedQLD
- FTNetwork & Security Gateway EngineerACT
- FTExchange EngineerACT
- FTPerformance TesterOther
- FTCyber Security Project ManagerOther
- FTUI Developer / Front-End DevloperQLD
- FTNetwork Security ConsultantOther
- FTSenior DevOps ConsultantVIC
- FTPractice Manager - SecurityVIC
- FTSenior Test AnalystQLD
- FTWeb Developer - Full Stack - 3D, VR, WebGLNSW
- TPSenior Enterprise ArchitectNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTApplication Support Maintenance & Patching AnalystOther
- FTERP ConsultantQLD
- FTBI Service Operations LeadOther
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerNSW
- FTCloud Engineer - AWSOther
- CCWindows 10 Deployment TechnicianWA
- CCJunior Business AnalystWA
- TPPHP DeveloperWA
- FTOrganisational Change ManagerACT
- FTClient Services OfficerOther
- FTAEM DeveloperOther