Epson Perfection 2480
- High speed, good image quality, image restoration features
- Nothing notable
An excellent choice for the average user, the quick-study Epson Perfection 2480 Photo scans quickly and creates good-looking images--from both photos and film--all at a bargain price.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
The Epson Perfection 2480 Photo is relatively inexpensive, yet its fine image quality and brisk performance make it excellent value. The 2480 scans both photos and film, and like previous Epson scanners, it has push buttons that quickly launch common scanning tasks, along with a versatile scanning driver (Epson Scan) that offers different user modes for novices and veterans. For example, if you choose the Perfection 2480 Photo's Full Auto mode in the driver, the scanner will recognise the type of printed image (such as a colour or black-and-white document) or type of film (negative or positive); it then scans and saves the image for you--all at the press of a button. Professional mode, on the other hand, offers complete manual control over the scanning process.
The 2480 performed very well in our speed tests, using its USB 2.0 interface. When scanning at lower resolutions (100 and 300 dots per inch), the 2480 turned in about average speeds; but it scanned fast enough at 600 and 1200dpi to earn a lower cumulative time than most other scanners in its class. For example, it scanned a 4" x 5" black-and-white photo at 600dpi in just under 26 seconds; most other SOHO scanners take from 28 to 41 seconds to complete the same scan.
Overall image quality was also impressive. The 2480 produced attractive scans of both colour and monochrome documents. It had accurate reproduction of the brightness and contrast in a black-and-white photo scanned and printed at 600dpi. The 2480 also produced accurate colour and sharp details in the on-screen reproduction of a 4" x 5" colour photo scanned at 100dpi.
The Epson Scan driver includes enhancement features that can improve the look of aged transparencies; its colour restoration, dust removal and film grain reduction features all worked well. And the 2480's optical resolution of 2400 by 4800dpi makes it possible to enlarge 35mm images up to 8" x 10" with sufficient image quality for printing. However, the 2480's film adapter can scan only a maximum of two 35mm slides or three frames in a filmstrip at once.
Bundled software includes ArcSoft PhotoImpression 5 for image editing, ABBYY FineReader 5 Sprint for optical character recognition, and Epson Smart Panel, which helps you accomplish a variety of tasks such as creating low-resolution images for uploading to a photo-sharing Web site, or for sending via email or fax. The optional automatic feeder handles multiple photo prints up to 4" x 6", as well as business cards, but it was not available for this review.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
cloudandco Smart Cane
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Google Daydream View VR Headset
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Xbox One X
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 2 Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- 3 Acer Spin 5 review: Value for money but conditions apply
- 4 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 5 Sony LF-S50G review: Google Assistant and then some
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new Expression Premium Photo Range
- Epson Australia Unveils New Expression Home Range of Printers
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- JBL Link 10 review
- Samsung Gear Sport review: A worthy contender
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTApplication Support AnalystOther
- CCInfrastructure Network EngineerVIC
- TPSystems Support AnalystQLD
- FTMobile Developers (Android OR iOS)WA
- CCLean Six Sigma Process Improvement SpecialistNSW
- FTData ScientistOther
- FTSenior Test AnalystOther
- CCGraduate Reporting/Monitoring AnalystQLD
- FTMobile Developers (Android OR iOS)WA
- FTField Services EngineerOther
- CCAgile Project ManagerVIC
- FTJava DeveloperWA
- FTSitecore Developer/ArchitectOther
- CCSenior Solution Architect - BrisbaneVIC
- FTSystems Co-ordinatorOther
- CCJunior Analyst (Law Graduate opportunity)NSW
- CCDevops Engineer - AWS and cloud infrastructureVIC
- FTEPMO Support AnalystWA
- CCOperations Support OfficerVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst - PERMANENT -Other
- CCRollout EngineerNSW
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Infrastructure - 6 Month Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperQLD
- TPJava DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Program ManagerNSW