Epson Perfection 4490
- Fast scans, Good colour reproduction, Excellent automatic corrections.
- A little expensive.
The Epson Perfection 4490 is a powerful scanner with versatile image-enhancing features, but its premium price makes it best suited for serious photographers and other detail-conscious users.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
With the debut of its new Perfection 4490 Photo, Epson has another winner on its hands. Although the 4490's price makes it expensive for a value model, it also provides powerful features ideal for photo enthusiasts and other advanced users to justify its premium cost.
The dual-format 4490 scans both paper and transparencies at a reasonably fast pace. Numerous options--such as color restoration--help improve image quality during the scanning process. The 4490 also incorporates Digital ICE (Image Correction and Enhancement), an efficient hardware-based technology that automatically repairs image defects such as dust and scratches, reducing the need for tedious manual corrections in an image editor. The 4490's Digital ICE scanning feature can be applied only to film, however, and not to photos.
Among the Hi-Speed USB 2.0 value models we've recently tested, the Perfection 4490 was the second-fastest, nipping at the heels of the top-performing HP Scanjet 4890 Photo Scanner. In our 4-by-5-inch photo tests, for example, the Perfection 4490 took 15 seconds to complete a 100-dpi color scan and 23 seconds to finish a 600-dpi grayscale scan, making it only about 4 and 5 seconds slower, respectively, than the Scanjet 4890's scores for the same tests.
The 4490 performed well overall in our image quality tests. It especially impressed us with its on-screen displays of a color photo (scanned at 100 dpi) and black-and-white line art (at 4800 dpi). In the on-screen photo test, we rated the 4490 second only to the Epson Perfection 3490 Photo for its color accuracy, contrast, and detail in both shadows and highlights. And in our on-screen line art tests, the 4490 won a first-place rating for its crisp details in reproducing small text as well as complex geometric patterns. In our print tests, however, some of the 4490's images - including a 2-by-2-inch color photo output in 48-bit color - were just a tad dark. Although this kept the 4490 from earning a superior rating for its overall image quality, its merits earned it a respectable rating.
With its ultrahigh optical resolution of 4800 dpi, the 4490 is an ideal choice for those who want to make huge enlargements from small originals such as 35mm film frames. And with its built-in transparency adapter, you can productively batch-scan up to a dozen 35mm negatives or four 35mm slides at a time. The 4490's lid also houses a secondary light source that moves when scanning film to provide uniform illumination behind individual frames. In our informal tests, the 4490 produced excellent film scans, with bright colors and sharply focused details. Its Digital ICE feature also did a stellar job at reducing scratches and unwanted specks when scanning film.
The 4490 has four front panel buttons for jump-starting various scan jobs (scan, copy, e-mail, PDF), and a talented scanning driver (Epson Scan) that offers easy and advanced user modes for novices and veterans. Using the driver's Professional mode, for example, you can manually control the settings for brightness, contrast, saturation, color balance, tone curve, and more. With the driver's Full Auto mode, the scanner will determine the type of image, scan it, and save it for you. You can even conveniently scan multiple images using the Full Auto mode. Bundled software includes a proficient image editor (Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0) and a capable optical character recognition tool (ABBYY FineReader 6.0 Sprint). An optional 30-page automatic document feeder, a handy tool for voluminous OCR scanning, is also available for an extra cost.
Join the newsletter!
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Google Daydream View VR Headset
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Xbox One X
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 2 Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- 3 Acer Spin 5 review: Value for money but conditions apply
- 4 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 5 Sony LF-S50G review: Google Assistant and then some
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new Expression Premium Photo Range
- Epson Australia Unveils New Expression Home Range of Printers
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- JBL Link 10 review
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- TPTechnical Project OfficerQLD
- TPTechnical Consultant - SOE, SCCMNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FT.NET DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Change AnalystOther
- FTImplementation ConsultantNSW
- CCThe job "Automation Test Analyst Guidewire " is now ExpiredQLD
- FTChange Lead - 12 Month Contract!Other
- TPProgram Scheduler | 12 Month Contract | Qld GovernmentQLD
- FTSenior Consultant - .NET DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Software EngineerOther
- FTNetwork Engineering Team Lead/Network ManagerNSW
- FTJava DevelopersVIC
- FTSenior Healthcare Pre-Sales Exec. / Clinical Advisor - Perm - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCJunior Data Scientist / AnalystVIC
- CCDatapower DeveloperACT
- TPSenior Project Manager - ApplicationsQLD
- FTSenior Penetration TesterACT
- CCNetwork Engineer (Juniper)VIC
- FTScrum MasterOther
- FTSenior Test Analyst and Test AnalystOther
- CCMultiple System Engineers - Data Centre - TelcoVIC
- FTEmbedded Software EngineerWA
- FTCRM DeveloperACT