Epson PictureMate 500
- Fast, excellent print quality
- Optional rechargeable battery is pricey
This new model's high-quality photos and low per-print cost should land it on any amateur photographer's shortlist.
Price$ 349.00 (AUD)
Slightly more expensive than Epson's original PictureMate photo printer, the PictureMate 500's most notable improvement over the older model is the 2.4" colour LCD display that flips up from the top of the printer for viewing and editing photos.
The PictureMate 500 is also faster. When we connected our shipping unit to a PC, our test photo printed in 1 minute and 39 seconds--37 seconds faster than the original PictureMate, and swifter than many of the other desktop photo printers we've tested. The quality was excellent, too. Our photos appeared bright and sharp, with plenty of shadow and highlight detail. Part of the reason for the speed increase may be the printer's USB 2.0 high-speed port.
While the original PictureMate's handle makes it easy to carry, the new PictureMate 500 becomes truly portable with the addition of an optional rechargeable battery. It slots away neatly inside the printer, but it's a pricey optional extra. A Bluetooth adapter, for cable-free printing, is also available for purchase.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- HP shutting down default FTP, Telnet access to network printers
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- The simple RAM buying guide
- MSI GE62 7RD Apache gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTData Analyst - SASNSW
- FTBusiness Process ConsultantNSW
- FTService Desk Analyst Level 1 SupportQLD
- FTEnterprise Architect - Network and TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTSecurity AnalystQLD
- FTLevel 2 Desktop Support - Microsoft Office 365 experienceNSW
- CCPega DeveloperWA
- FTAnalyst ProgrammerVIC
- CCData Migration Lead | Recruitment Focus | DocklandsVIC
- FTNetwork EngineerQLD
- CCImplementation Manager - DeliveryVIC
- CCProcess Improvement AnalystVIC
- FTDigital Marketing Executive / Content ProducerNSW
- FTProject Coordinator - Digital Applications (IT)NSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer - BRISBANEWA
- CCSenior Data EngineerNSW
- FTSales Client Services Manager (Mid-market)QLD
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW
- TPChange Management - Multi-stream people change program**NSW
- CCIdentity Access Management - Business AnalystVIC
- TPDelivery Coordinator - ProjectsQLD
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTEnterprise Architect - Technology and StrategyQLD
- FTSolution Architect - SecurityVIC