Epson Stylus CX1500
- Impressive print and scan quality
- Noisy, slow, must print through the PC, no 4' x 6' paper support
One of the slowest printers we've reviewed, it took over half an hour to print a photo-quality shot. Great image quality doesn't make up for its design flaws.
Price$ 138.00 (AUD)
The inexpensive CX1500 is noisy and slow at photo printing. It doesn't support PictBridge nor does it have a memory card reader, so all photo prints must be made through the PC. Nevertheless, its print and scan quality was impressive.
We had to wait a long while (31minutes 55 seconds) for the CX1500 to print our photo quality A4 image on glossy paper, but the wait was definitely worth it. The photo was reproduced with excellent colour balance and was very sharp. There was only a slight hint of colour banding in some grey areas, but for the most part the image was perfect.
Text output also proved to be very good in normal mode, and fine mode produces even better quality. The quality can also be toned down to draft mode, which prints a full page of text in only 13 seconds, but with low resolution, grey characters. In our tests, it took 39 seconds to print a full text page in normal mode and 1 minute 11 seconds to print in fine mode.
Unfortunately, the printer does not support 4" x 6" photo paper, so photos of this size would need to be printed on an A4 sheet and then cut down to size.
The driver program that shipped in the box is also limited, as it does not allow for printing long documents in reverse order.
Like its printing capabilities, the CX1500's scanning was also excellent and captured the colour and detail of our test image correctly. The TWAIN driver has a well-laid-out interface and it can actually identify different images on the same page and automatically scan them into separate files--which can save a lot of selecting and cropping. The scanner was very slow during our tests, however. This model does not ship with any OCR software.
Copying a photo using the highest quality copy mode produced an image in only 2 minutes 21 seconds, which is a far cry from the half hour it took this unit to print a photo quality image from the PC. While the speed was good, the quality was not, and the copied image suffered from poor resolution and colour matching. A photocopy of a text document in the default mode was accomplished in 1 minute 23 seconds, and was light in tone and low in resolution.
We didn't experience any difficulties when using this machine, but waiting over half an hour for an A4 photo printout certainly did test our patience.
This unit would suit a buyer who is on a tight budget and wants an everyday printer for documents and the odd photo printout. Its scanner provides excellent PC scanning capabilities, but prospective buyers shouldn't expect much in the way of quality from its photocopy function.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
cloudandco Smart Cane
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Toys for Boys
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Bose SoundLink Micro
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Xbox One X
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson Australia Unveils New Expression Home Range of Printers
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- HP shutting down default FTP, Telnet access to network printers
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSupply Master Data AnalystOther
- CCMiddleware AdminstratorNSW
- CCWintel Messaging Engineer l Office 365 / Exchange / Skype for Business / AzureNSW
- FTSystem AnalystQLD
- CCBusiness Improvement Specialist (Six Sigma Green belt) - Contract - North SydneyNSW
- CCSenior Program CoordinatorNSW
- FTProcurement AdvisorACT
- CCSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTPMO Project Coordinator, Multiple projectsOther
- FTIT Graduate / Junior Project AdministratorOther
- FTSenior PHP Developer / Team LeadNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer - MULTIPLE ROLESQLD
- FTDevOps Engineer - Financial ServicesOther
- FTTM1 Application Management AnalystOther
- FTFrontEnd Angular DeveloperOther
- FTCloud Architect - AWS, Azure, ADOther
- FTAgile Project ManagerOther
- FTIT Desktop ManagerOther
- CCProject Manager (Payments compliance & Cards)VIC
- FTDevOps EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Merchant acquiringNSW
- CCTeam Assistant/Executive Assistant - TelcoVIC
- CCScrum MasterQLD
- PTDirector Programme Management OfficeSA
- FTSnr Information Security Consultant - IT Services - North Ryde areaNSW