Eset NOD32 Antivirus 4
NOD32 includes some nice extras, such as a new ability to scan HTTPS traffic for threats before they reach your hard drive
- Nice system inspector tool
- Lacklustre malware detection
ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 didn't fall down on the job, but it also failed to excel in any of our tests. If you're going to shell out for antivirus software, you can do better with your money.
Price$ 34.95 (AUD)
ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 has some nice, techie-focused extras and it effectively ferrets out rootkits, but it can't keep up with other antivirus apps when it comes to the essential task of blocking malware.
ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 lagged behind every other program we've tested recently when it came to detecting known malware with signatures. Against AVTest.org's huge store of known Trojans, spyware, and other malware, its block rate of 94.8 percent was decent, but strong performance from the majority of the apps we tested has raised the bar.
ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 performed better in heuristic tests designed to measure how well security programs can detect newer malware threats. With two-week old databases, ESET's program detected 63.6 percent of newer malware, earning a middle-of-the-road sixth place. But when it came to behavioral detection tests, which measure how well a security app can identify bad stuff based solely on how it acts on a PC, NOD32 put up some warnings but ultimately didn't block any of the brand-new test samples.
The malware hunter was able to identify and block all ten rootkits, which are a type of malware used to hide other threats on a PC. But three other apps - Norton AntiVirus, McAfee Antivirus Plus and Kaspersky Anti-Virus - were able to match that performance. For other types of malware infections, NOD32 failed to disable one out of 10 test infections. Again, not terrible, but most of the apps neutered all the test infections.
NOD32 does include some nice extras, such as a new ability to scan HTTPS traffic for threats before they reach your hard drive, and a SysInspector tool that evaluates running programs, Registry entries, files, and other elements of your system for potential risk.
SysInspector is meant for techies, but it can provide a wealth of information about what's going on in the depths of your PC (ESET also offers the tool as a free download).
The program's user interface is generally smooth, but it has some definite annoyances. ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 splits settings and tasks between a standard mode and advanced mode, and hides some important elements like the quarantine function and scan scheduler behind the advanced mode.
Also, if the program finds any threats during a scan you schedule or run yourself, it won't tell you up front what it found. To see anything more than the number of discovered items, like the file's name and location, you'll need to dig into the quarantine or scan log.
Finally, unlike most stand-alone security programs, ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 says its application will conflict with firewall software available from Webroot and ZoneAlarm, unless you turn off HTTP filtering.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 HTC U11 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Gigabyte Aero 15 corporate gaming laptop review
- 3 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 4 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Wanawiki is the WannaCry fix that might save affected PCs—if you work fast
- Digital signature service DocuSign hacked and email addresses stolen
- The WannaCry ransomware might have a link to North Korea
- WannaCry attacks are only the beginning
- Old Windows PCs can stop WannaCry ransomware with new Microsoft patch
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- MSI GL62M 7RDX gaming laptop review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSEO ExecutiveOther
- FTTest LeadACT
- CCDigital Content SpecialistNSW
- TPFront End .NET DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Microsoft SQL DesignerNSW
- FTSenior Program AnalystOther
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperOther
- FTProject / Program ManagerOther
- FTFinancial AnalystOther
- FTSoftware Licensing and Contract AnalystOther
- FTSAP ETL DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Infrastructure Business AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Agile Test AnalystOther
- FTSoftware Development ManagerACT
- FTWintel Engineer - Level 1 and 2 ServerOther
- FTDevOps LeadNSW
- TPIT TrainerQLD
- FTService Delivery Manager - Telecommunications InfrastructureOther
- FTApplication Service AdministratorNSW
- FT.NET DeveloperWA
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTDigital BA | App Dev Environment | 6 month contract roleOther
- FTOffice & Operations AdministratorNSW
- TPArcGIS DeveloperVIC
- FTProject Manager or Coordinator - Retail Store ProjectsOther