App review: ESPN FC for iOS
Soccer fans will get a kick out of this app, but it might leave some users off-side
- Tracks all major leagues in one app
- Quick access to scores and fixtures
- Times are wrong
- Layout could be better
For football fans of major leagues, ESPN FC is a good one-stop app for quick access to recent scores and upcoming fixtures. Although when it comes to detailed information regarding the sport, the best bet is to find apps dedicated to a particular league or team you are interested in.
Although there is a legion of football apps on the market, ESPN FC, formerly ESPNsoccernet, is one of the better ones. It provides coverage of all the major leagues and tournaments alongside an array of news-related features that provide a scope of the sport on a global scale. It is not perfect, though, and requires fixes and additions to become the one-stop app for the world game.
The first thing to do after downloading ESPN FC, like with most sports apps, is select your favourite teams, leagues, and tournaments through the settings menu (top right of screen). While within the settings, you can also choose to login with Facebook, as well as select your language and toggle tool-tips. That’s all the setup that's required.
The ESPN FC home screen is the news page. At the top is a side-scrolling bar which lists all the leagues and tournaments you previously selected. Tap into these and it lists the most recent result for your preferred teams. If a team isn’t selected, it displays the league results. There is a star at the beginning of this menu which provides a list of the most recent game played of your favourite teams (including nations). The separate scores page is similar to this, but provides a full timeline of past and future fixtures for your teams. Tapping on a game does not take you to a dedicated page though, making it feel cramped.
Below this is the latest news from the football world, followed by ‘My News’ when you scroll down. Tapping into either of these brings up dedicated news pages. Other features include a video tab with selected clips from around the world, and tables/standings for all your chosen leagues/tournaments.
ESPN FC has one major flaw that has the potential to confuse and anger football fans: a lot of the kick-off times displayed within the app are inaccurate, despite the fact that it uses location tracking. For example, all A-League games are listed as commencing one hour after the actual time. It’s important to keep this in mind and confirm the kick-off elsewhere just to be sure.
Another annoying element is that ESPN added advertising to its app when it renamed it to ESPN FC. The ads sit just above the menu, which is at the bottom of the screen. As the app is not optimised for the iPhone 5 yet, this can be particularly frustrating as less content appears on screen.
Requirements: iOS 4.2 or higher
Reviewed on: iPhone 5
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Apple iPhone X
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Toys for Boys
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Bose SoundLink Micro
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Xbox One X
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 2 Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- 3 Acer Spin 5 review: Value for money but conditions apply
- 4 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 5 Sony LF-S50G review: Google Assistant and then some
Latest News Articles
- Clips Introduces Selfie Scenes for Immersive 360-Degree Selfies on iPhone X
- Netgear delivers industry first networking devices with remote management from anywhere in the world
- Samsung and Latitude Financial Services Partner to Bring Samsung Pay to More Australians
- NAB go in on Google Assistant integration with new app
- Trend Micro launches new Home Network Scanner
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- JBL Link 10 review
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCSAP Fiori + UI5 ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer - ReactOther
- TPBusiness Analyst - Data & Information ModellingQLD
- FTDesktop Support OfficerSA
- FTSenior Business Analyst - MortgagesOther
- FTClass Super - Application Support Analyst - SMSF solutionsOther
- CCCisco Communication Engineer / Technician - FIFOWA
- FTInformation ArchitectOther
- CCProgram ManagerNSW
- FTAgile CoachOther
- FTSecurity DevOps EngineerOther
- TPPHP and PL/SQL SupportNSW
- FTProgram ManagerSA
- CCBack-End Developers - PHP - Federal GovernmentVIC
- FTDevOps & IT Operations | Trading & Finance | LinuxOther
- FTMurex DeveloperVIC
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CCProcess Improvement and Change Specialist - TelcoVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- CCNetwork Engineer (Juniper)QLD
- FTNetwork Engineering Team Lead/Network ManagerNSW
- CCProject Manager - InfrastructureWA
- FTSQL Database AdministratorACT
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- CCGenesys ConsultantACT