App review: ESPN FC for iOS
Soccer fans will get a kick out of this app, but it might leave some users off-side
- Tracks all major leagues in one app
- Quick access to scores and fixtures
- Times are wrong
- Layout could be better
For football fans of major leagues, ESPN FC is a good one-stop app for quick access to recent scores and upcoming fixtures. Although when it comes to detailed information regarding the sport, the best bet is to find apps dedicated to a particular league or team you are interested in.
Although there is a legion of football apps on the market, ESPN FC, formerly ESPNsoccernet, is one of the better ones. It provides coverage of all the major leagues and tournaments alongside an array of news-related features that provide a scope of the sport on a global scale. It is not perfect, though, and requires fixes and additions to become the one-stop app for the world game.
The first thing to do after downloading ESPN FC, like with most sports apps, is select your favourite teams, leagues, and tournaments through the settings menu (top right of screen). While within the settings, you can also choose to login with Facebook, as well as select your language and toggle tool-tips. That’s all the setup that's required.
The ESPN FC home screen is the news page. At the top is a side-scrolling bar which lists all the leagues and tournaments you previously selected. Tap into these and it lists the most recent result for your preferred teams. If a team isn’t selected, it displays the league results. There is a star at the beginning of this menu which provides a list of the most recent game played of your favourite teams (including nations). The separate scores page is similar to this, but provides a full timeline of past and future fixtures for your teams. Tapping on a game does not take you to a dedicated page though, making it feel cramped.
Below this is the latest news from the football world, followed by ‘My News’ when you scroll down. Tapping into either of these brings up dedicated news pages. Other features include a video tab with selected clips from around the world, and tables/standings for all your chosen leagues/tournaments.
ESPN FC has one major flaw that has the potential to confuse and anger football fans: a lot of the kick-off times displayed within the app are inaccurate, despite the fact that it uses location tracking. For example, all A-League games are listed as commencing one hour after the actual time. It’s important to keep this in mind and confirm the kick-off elsewhere just to be sure.
Another annoying element is that ESPN added advertising to its app when it renamed it to ESPN FC. The ads sit just above the menu, which is at the bottom of the screen. As the app is not optimised for the iPhone 5 yet, this can be particularly frustrating as less content appears on screen.
Requirements: iOS 4.2 or higher
Reviewed on: iPhone 5
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Gboard update brings text selection mode and resizing to Android keyboard app
- Google might be gearing up to remove millions of Play Store apps next month
- WhatsApp finally launches video calling
- Google Play is cracking down on fake reviews and fraudulent install numbers
- New call-blocking apps in iOS 10 can stop spams and scams before they reach you
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- MSI GE62 7RD Apache gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FT.NET DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst, Wealth ManagementNSW
- FTCustomer Support Team LeadNSW
- FTSenior Citrix Engineer / LeadNSW
- TPInstructional DesignerVIC
- FTIntegration SpecialistQLD
- TPArcGIS DeveloperVIC
- CCImplementation Manager/PlannerSA
- FTWEB DesignerQLD
- TPTechnical ArchitectVIC
- FTNetwork EngineerQLD
- FTWintel EngineerACT
- CCOracle CCB DesignerVIC
- FTBI BA Consultant l Microstrategy, Business ObjectsNSW
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Configuration Engineer - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTSalesforce ConsultantQLD
- FTSenior Solution Designer/ ConsultantVIC
- TPICT Customer Support Officer - MurwillumbahNSW
- FTPMO Quality OfficerNSW
- TPData Migration LeadNSW
- CCIdentity Access Management - Business AnalystVIC
- FTPeopleSoft Technical Campus Solution DeveloperNSW
- FTTechnical WriterVIC