Evga UV Plus (UV-12)
An extra monitor without an extra graphics card.
- Simple, effective, easy to set up and use, no issues with Vista’s Aero interface
- Only supports resolutions of up to 1280x1024 and 1440x900, not recommended for video use
So long as you’re not planning to use this for video or other graphically intense applications, EVGA’s UV Plus + 12 is a simple and effective way to increase productivity, especially for notebooks.
A simple USB device that allows the connection of an extra monitor while still using a single graphics card, EVGA’s UV Plus (UV-12) is a convenient and inexpensive way to run multiple displays. However, it hasn’t been designed for graphically intense applications or gaming.
The premise of the UV-12 is fairly simple: this small box is a USB-based video adapter allowing Windows machines to run an extra monitor for improved productivity. And before you ask, the answer is no: the UV Plus hasn’t been designed with gaming in mind. This is purely for office productivity, including basic word processing and Internet browsing.
Aesthetically, there isn’t much to say. The compact device is silver coloured and feels reasonably well built, while the orange EVGA logo and power/status light add a refreshing touch to an otherwise bland device. Conveniently, the base of the unit is fitted with an anti-slip rubber surface, which means it holds firmly to a desk.
The unit offers both DVI and VGA support, with a DVI-to-VGA adapter included in the sales package. A DVI port and a mini-USB connection are the only ports on the unit. Our UV12 review unit supports resolutions of up to 1280x1024 and 1440x900, but EVGA also has a UV16 model on the market that ups the ante to 1600x1200 and 1680x1050 resolutions.
Set up is a fairly simple process that involves installing the included drivers and restarting your computer. Then just connect the UV Plus to a spare USB port and run the DVI cable (or DVI-to-VGA adapter) to your second monitor. The software supports Windows Vista Aero and uses a virtual driver.
Once connected, options are fairly straightforward. An EVGA UV Plus icon that appears in the Windows Taskbar can quickly be used to adjust any settings. Here you can choose to mirror or extend the primary display — the latter provides options for extending the display to a specific direction including right, left above and below. You can also check for any software updates, adjust the screen resolution and colour quality. The software also supports rotation to the left or right or upside-down.
We had minimal issues with our extra display when connected, though speed is noticeably slower. Watching a DVD, we noticed a dropped frame every few seconds using Windows Media Player, though it was certainly still watchable. Using Windows Vista we had no issues with the Aero interface; word processing, Internet browsing and spreadsheets using Microsoft Excel were near perfect.
For many PC users, the cost of the UV Plus means they would be better off just purchasing another video card. But for notebook owners the UV Plus could be appealing.
Join the newsletter!
Bringing VR out of office and study spaces will serve to help it attract the new audiences it needs to continue growing
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 5 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
Latest News Articles
- BenQ Celebrates Modern Sleekness with Newest Monitors for Home and Office
- AOC Unveils AG322QCX AGON Gaming Display Bolstered for Battle
- Samsung announces Australian availability for its 49-inch CHG90 QLED Monitor
- BenQ Announces the EW3270ZL Eye Care Monitor with Immaculate Colour Reproduction
- AbleGamers' Player Panels could make future games more disability-friendly
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTData Analyst with TableauOther
- FTSales Manager - Global ISP Cloud Solutions ProviderVIC
- CCJava Full Stack DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Full stack Developer (Java)ACT
- CCTechnology Lead - TelcoVIC
- TPMaster Data OfficerQLD
- CCSenior Internet Services EngineerNSW
- CCCisco EngineerWA
- FTSenior Pega Developer (Pega Senior Systems Architect)Other
- CCDynamic CRM DeveloperQLD
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Customer Centric ContentQLD
- FTContent Marketing SpecialistOther
- FTSAP Program Manager (Other
- FTOracle DBA - Permanent PositionQLD
- FTJunior level .NET DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Supply Chain / LogisiticsVIC
- CCProgram Coordinator | IT TransformationNSW
- CCHadoop DeveloperACT
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTERP Systems & Reporting AnalystVIC
- FTMid-level UX DesignerOther
- FTSQL DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Project CoordinatorOther
- FTService Delivery CoordinatorVIC