F-Secure Internet Security 2006
- Excellent at finding malware
- Poor at detecting adware, firewall works well at detecting threats but blocks internet access as well
F-Secure's suite provides thorough security protection in a clean interface with deep configuration options.
Price$ 80.20 (AUD)
F-Secure's Internet Security 2006 performed with flying colors in most of our malware detection tests, but it had problems removing many of those same troublesome files.
The suite has anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall protection, as well as anti-spam capabilities, parental controls, and root kit detection. It gives you lots of configuration options but doesn't always explain what they are. Additionally, I was initially confused by the fact that many options were grayed out, inaccessible until I chose the Custom Virus & Spy Protection setting.
The application, which uses the powerful Kaspersky anti-virus engine, is excellent at recognizing malware. It detected 98 percent of AV-Test.org's collection of less common malware, which includes Trojan horses, back doors, bots, and malicious spyware. It also received top marks in heuristics tests, and could detect malware within file archives and runtime compressed program files; of the ten security suites we looked at, F-Secure's was the only one to alert the user if it couldn't scan a particular password-protected archive. The product's malware warnings are easy to read, too. While they don't provide tons of information, what's offered is clearly written and actionable.
Some weaknesses: F-Secure Internet Security flagged the most false positives among the ten suites we tested, and it detected only 50 percent of the adware we threw at it, ranking second to last. In our speed tests at default settings, this package had the slowest on-demand scan, although it did not significantly impact applications running in our WorldBench 5 benchmark suite - a result that suggests F-Secure Internet Security won't slow you down during day-to-day computing activities. F-Secure says its real-time protection and five scan engines - two for viruses and one each for spyware, rootkits, and heuristics - account for the overall slow scan speed.
F-Secure Internet Security's firewall proved solid with easy-to-understand network activity warnings. In our tests it blocked both inside threats (already on the PC) and outside threats. When inside threats attempted to deactivate the firewall in memory or delete it from the hard drive, the firewall blocked the attack but also stopped all Internet (though not intranet) traffic - an inconvenience.
F-Secure's suite provides thorough security protection in a clean interface with deep configuration options. It doesn't always explain its offerings, though, and is therefore more appropriate for the user who doesn't need such help.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Wanawiki is the WannaCry fix that might save affected PCs—if you work fast
- Digital signature service DocuSign hacked and email addresses stolen
- The WannaCry ransomware might have a link to North Korea
- WannaCry attacks are only the beginning
- Old Windows PCs can stop WannaCry ransomware with new Microsoft patch
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming motherboard review
- The simple RAM buying guide
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTiOS DeveloperNSW
- FTSystem Analyst - IntegrationQLD
- FTSenior Systems AnalystSA
- FTSenior Security Engineer x 3NSW
- FTTeam Leader Solution DeliveryQLD
- FTTechnology Project ManagerNSW
- FTManual Test AnalystQLD
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior React DeveloperNSW
- CCImplementation Manager/PlannerVIC
- CCTransport EngineerVIC
- TPMS Access/SQL DBAQLD
- FTSecurity ConsultantVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTPeopleSoft Technical Campus Solution DeveloperNSW
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - TelcoVIC
- CCDevOps Engineer with strong Docker skills - Contract - North Shore SydneyNSW
- TPBI DeveloperNSW
- FTScrum Master/Project ManagerQLD
- FTDigital Business Analyst | Online BookingQLD
- FTDesktop Support OfficerSA
- FTIT Support EngineerNSW
- FTSalesforce Marketing ConsultantNSW
- CCSalesforce Marketing CloudNSW