Fabrik Ultimate Backup
- Easy to set up, offers unlimited restores
- Not integrated into local backup client
If you're not backing up off-site to guard against data disaster, you should be, and Fabrik is as good a way to do it as any, especially when it has 2GB for free.
Ultimate Backup is a super handy way to keep your files remotely backed up.
Shopping Fabrik's line of external hard drives, you might get the idea that Fabrik Ultimate Backup is an adjunct of those products, but it's actually a separate, exceedingly useful online backup service.
The pricing for Ultimate Backup is very similar to another such service -- Mozy.com -- which is not surprising, as they both use venerable Berkeley Data Systems' storage facilities. Like Mozy, Fabrik offers 2GB of online storage for free, or unlimited storage for just $US5 a month.
The Fabrik Ultimate Backup client sits in your system tray automatically backing up the files and folders you select, but it also gives you a number of thoughtful options. You can limit its usage of your broadband connection, set the program so that backups transpire only while your computer is at idle, and specify how much CPU time the client uses during backups. You can also schedule it to back up only during specified hours or at specified times.
Data may be retrieved by double-clicking the "Fabrik Ultimate Backup" icon that the program adds to "Other devices" in Windows Explorer, or by logging on to your account with your browser and using an online restore function. Fabrik also offers the same 128-bit SSL and 448-bit Blowfish encryption Mozy employs, and you can use Fabrik's self-generated key or one of your own (but don't lose it, or you can't restore).
My only quibble with Fabrik Ultimate Backup is a minor one -- it should be integrated into the company's Total Backup and Record local backup utility, which is bundled with its hard drives.
If you're not backing up off-site to guard against data disaster, you should be, and Fabrik is as good a way to do it as any. Did I mention that you get 2GB for free?
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 2 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 3 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 4 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 5 Xbox One X review: Brave new world
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Businesses jump on Amazon’s Alexa after Australian launch date revealed
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Monster Hunter World review
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTAEM/Jave DeveloperNSW
- CCDevOps EngineerVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager - Infrastructure ServicesVIC
- FTMDM ArchitectOther
- CCSenior Solution Architect - Brisbane locationNSW
- FTGraduate Data Scientist/ Data AnalystNSW
- FTPHP DeveloperWA
- CCSAP Fiori + UI5 ArchitectNSW
- CCIncident ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Supply ChainOther
- CCDatabase Migration SupportNSW
- FTApplications Solution ArchitectOther
- CCIT Security Manager - OperationsNSW
- FTDevelopment Expert (EL1)SA
- FTIT Security EngineerOther
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- FTSolution Architect - DigitalVIC
- FTLead Business AnalystOther
- CCMicrosoft CRM Technical ConsultantNSW
- CCPortfolio Coordinator / Administrator - BrisbaneNSW
- FTSQL Database AdministratorWA
- TPBusiness Intelligence (BI) Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- CCContinuous Improvement and Change Specialist (Black Belt) - Contract - Nth SydNSW
- CCSoftware Engineer /.NET Developer - based in PerthWA
- FTSecurity & IAM Technical SpecialistACT