FL Studio 8
You've got to love a software company that would actually name a program Fruity Loops.
The thing we love about FL Studio is that you only buy once and every new version has addressed user wishes and added significant functionality. Not only does the company have a sense of humour, they have a sense of honour. Well worth the download (and it'll always be Fruity Loops to us).
Price$ 349.00 (AUD)
You've got to love a software company that would actually name a program Fruity Loops. It's now been renamed called FL Studio to rein in the more staid customers, as well as reflect the program's move from a strictly loop-based (arranging looped samples into songs) into a far more versatile sequencing and editing package.
But still - you've just got to admire them.
The first thing you'll notice about FL Studio is that it's one nice-looking program with an interface treatment makes you want to dive right in and explore. The interface mimics to a great extent an old beat box or step sequencer.
Depending on your background, it may take some getting used to. If what you're looking for is a great looping and step editing for dance music, you can't beat this program (except possibly with Ableton Live). You can force track-based arrangements, but that's not its forte. Those statements are a synopsis by the way - there's no possibility of covering the myriad of features in a short review.
Feature-wise, the US$49 Express version of FL Studio lacks the Edison wave editor and Slicex beat editor, some of the more useful advanced arrangement features and the ability to act as a DXi/ReWire/VSTi client within other sequencers or DAWS (Digital Audio Workstation software).
If you don't know what that last means, you won't miss the feature. The Express version still has plenty of step-sequencing features, a number of software synths, and the DirectWave sample player though output is limited to 16-bit/44.1kHz which is only a hindrance to pros.
The demo is a fully functional copy of the program; however, although you can output a final mix to audio, you can't actually save the project.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
cloudandco Smart Cane
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Toys for Boys
Google Daydream View VR Headset
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Xbox One X
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Google Home Mini review: a welcome addition to the smart speaker family.
- 4 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 5 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
Latest News Articles
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
- Amazon confirms early 2018 Australian launch for Alexa and Echo
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- University of Sydney Signs World-First Agreement with Dropbox
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- PC World 2017 Editors' Choice Awards Nomineees Announced
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTField Services TechnicianACT
- CCWin10 Apps PackagerWA
- FTJava J2EE DeveloperOther
- FTService Modeller/DesignerACT
- FTSenior Project Manager - Telco - App DevOther
- FTOnboarding Specialist / Service Design - ITIL | ServiceNowOther
- FTTelecommunications RiggerOther
- TPAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCLead Change ManagerNSW
- FTNetwork Security EngineerOther
- FTData Centre Support Engineer -| 6mth ContractOther
- CCProject OfficerQLD
- TPSecurity Design OfficerNSW
- FT0365 Consultant - Large Scale O365 ImplementationVIC
- FTSolution DesignerOther
- FTCyber Security Program ManagerACT
- FTBroker Support/ Applications SupportOther
- CCBusiness Systems Analyst (Expression of Interest)QLD
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CCTechnical Field EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTField ConsultantOther
- FTDevOps Analyst ProgramOther
- CCVirtualisation Network EngineerVIC
- FTSalesforce DeveloperOther