FL Studio 8
You've got to love a software company that would actually name a program Fruity Loops.
- Can't be beaten if what you're looking for is great looping and step editing for dance music
- It may take some getting used to
The thing we love about FL Studio is that you only buy once and every new version has addressed user wishes and added significant functionality. Not only does the company have a sense of humour, they have a sense of honour. Well worth the download (and it'll always be Fruity Loops to us).
Price$ 349.00 (AUD)
You've got to love a software company that would actually name a program Fruity Loops. It's now been renamed called FL Studio to rein in the more staid customers, as well as reflect the program's move from a strictly loop-based (arranging looped samples into songs) into a far more versatile sequencing and editing package.
But still - you've just got to admire them.
The first thing you'll notice about FL Studio is that it's one nice-looking program with an interface treatment makes you want to dive right in and explore. The interface mimics to a great extent an old beat box or step sequencer.
Depending on your background, it may take some getting used to. If what you're looking for is a great looping and step editing for dance music, you can't beat this program (except possibly with Ableton Live). You can force track-based arrangements, but that's not its forte. Those statements are a synopsis by the way - there's no possibility of covering the myriad of features in a short review.
Feature-wise, the US$49 Express version of FL Studio lacks the Edison wave editor and Slicex beat editor, some of the more useful advanced arrangement features and the ability to act as a DXi/ReWire/VSTi client within other sequencers or DAWS (Digital Audio Workstation software).
If you don't know what that last means, you won't miss the feature. The Express version still has plenty of step-sequencing features, a number of software synths, and the DirectWave sample player though output is limited to 16-bit/44.1kHz which is only a hindrance to pros.
The demo is a fully functional copy of the program; however, although you can output a final mix to audio, you can't actually save the project.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
- Dragon Gets NDIS Approval
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTBI / ETL DeveloperWA
- CCOracle Identity and Access Management AdministratorNSW
- CCJunior / Mid level Hogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneQLD
- FTTest Analyst / Engineer (Cloud / O365 migration)Other
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- TPTest Automation ProgrammerNSW
- CCMid-Level Oracle SQL DeveloperWA
- CCSenior Workbrain Functional Expert - Brisbane BasedVIC
- FTCustomer Marketing ExecutiveOther
- FTDigital Reporting AnalystOther
- CCPega DevelopersACT
- CCTraining and Support LeadVIC
- FTFunctional Support Consultant (GIS)Other
- TPSenior Project Manager (CRIM)VIC
- FTDigital Producer | High Profile Website | 6 Month ContractOther
- TPRelease CoordinatorNSW
- FTDomain ArchitectOther
- FTHelpdesk OfficerSA
- FTIT Service Management LeadQLD
- FTApplication Support HP ALMACT
- CCData Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystACT
- CCFinance AnalystNSW
- FTJunior IT Admin CoordinatorACT
- CCPlanning & Prioritisation Manager - TelcoVIC