App review: Foxtel Go for iPad
The Foxtel Go app is free to use, providing excellent quality video streaming and access to live TV
- Excellent video quality
- Intuitive & attractive interface
- 28 live TV channels
- Uses lots of data
- Could use more content
- No way to stream to TV
The Foxtel Go app allows Foxtel subscribers to watch various live TV channels and selected catch up programs on an iPad. The app is free to use and provides excellent quality video streaming, though the range of programs and channels on offer can be limiting depending on your tastes.
Foxtel Go is a new app that allows current Foxtel subscribers to watch various live TV channels and selected catch up programs on an iPad. The app is free to use and provides excellent quality video streaming, though the range of programs and channels on offer can be limiting depending on your tastes.
The layout and design of the Foxtel Go app is perhaps its best feature. The interface is both attractive and intuitive with stylish, descriptive text and a Windows 8 like "tile" interface that's heavy on images. There's a home menu with an overview of current available programs, a dedicated live TV section, and a catch up TV section that sorts programs by featured, genre, channels, latest, most popular and more. You can also search for any programs using the search box in the top right corner of the app.
To use the Foxtel Go app, users need to sign in with their Foxtel online username and password. A single Foxtel account can be used to log into two seperate iPads simultaneously, though you need a regular cable or satellite Foxtel home subscription to use the Go app and you can only remove one iPad from a Foxtel Go account per month. Unfortunately, customers with Foxtel on Xbox, Optus TV featuring Foxtel, Foxtel on T-Box and Foxtel on Internet TV can't use the service.
The Foxtel Go app is free but any data used is metered for all networks, including Telstra. Data usage is something to keep in mind — on Wi-Fi the app uses a maximum of 877MB of data per hour, while on 3G or 4G it uses up to 290MB per hour. The hefty data usage is put to good use though as the quality of video is excellent on both Wi-Fi and 3G/4G connections. Generally, both live and catch-up TV streams take about 10-15 seconds to buffer to the best quality.
Content is obviously limited to the packages you're subscribed to, so non-sport subscribers can't view any live or catch up sports channels, for example. There are 28 live TV channels to choose from in total as well as four Fox Sports Plus channels that stream live English Premier League football. There's no cricket or AFL, though, and it remains to be seen whether the app will stream live NRL matches in 2013.
Foxtel says it will add more channels to the Go service in the future. Some channels not yet available on the app include ESPN, Fox 8, The Comedy Channel and Discovery. Naturally, you can view an in-app EPG for all Foxtel Go channels. The content available is quite varied but the missing channels list is quite hefty so there's plenty of room for improvement.
There's unfortunately no way to stream the Foxtel Go app to an Apple TV system, and you can't watch Go content on your TV even if you connect the iPad using a HDMI cable. Users can remote record shows from Foxtel Go onto an IQ box, but it's not possible to record shows onto the iPad itself. There's also no way for the Go app to access saved recordings on an iQ box, which would be a killer feature.
Developer: Foxtel Management Pty Ltd
Requirements: iPad with iOS 5.0 or later
Reviewed on: Apple iPad mini
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 2 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 3 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 4 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 5 Xbox One X review: Brave new world
Latest News Articles
- Clips Introduces Selfie Scenes for Immersive 360-Degree Selfies on iPhone X
- Netgear delivers industry first networking devices with remote management from anywhere in the world
- Samsung and Latitude Financial Services Partner to Bring Samsung Pay to More Australians
- NAB go in on Google Assistant integration with new app
- Trend Micro launches new Home Network Scanner
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSenior Scrum MasterOther
- FTJava Developer - Foreign ExchangeOther
- FTOperational Risk ManagerNSW
- FTNetwork EngineersOther
- CCAndroid developerNSW
- FTWindows 10 Deployment ManagerACT
- CCInfoSphere SpecialistQLD
- FTFull-Stack DeveloperSA
- CCLevel 1 / 2 Desktop Support - BrisbaneNSW
- CCNetwork Test EngineerVIC
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- FTSecurity EngineerNSW
- TPJunior Business AnalystWA
- FTTechnology StrategistNSW
- FTInfrastructure Solution Architect - Network SecurityOther
- PTDigital PublisherNSW
- FTCheckpoint Engineers wantedVIC
- FTProgram Manager - SAP Asset ManagementOther
- CCRequirements AnalystACT
- FTSAP FICO Lead- government backgroundOther
- CCJunior Java DeveloperQLD
- CCIntegration/DevOps EngineerQLD
- FT.NET Integration Lead Developer - Australian Citizens onlyOther
- CCIOS DeveloperNSW
- FTSystems Accountant / Production SupportOther