Fritz!Box 7390 ADSL2+ modem/router
Fritz!Box 7390: One of the most comprehensive all-in-one ADSL2+ modem/routers on the Australian market
- Good reliability and speed
- Simultaneous dual-band Wi-Fi
- Stacks of features
- Some aspects of the interface could be better
- No evident URL or keyword filtering
The Fritz!Box 7390 will dazzle you with the huge array of features that it offers. It's definitely a model that will please enthusiast users, but also consumers who want a no-fuss set-up for their home networking needs. It's better than the 7270 entry model that we reviewed earlier this year, as it adds Gigabit Ethernet and simultaneous dual-band Wi-Fi.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
There are so many other monitoring tools in the Fritz!Box 7390 — it's an enthusiast's dream router! Not only can you see extensive information on your ADSL connection, you can also see who is logged on to your network, who was logged on and who tried to log on; you can also see the router's energy consumption (according to how much a feature is being utilised), and it even has CPU and RAM usage. You can also tell the router to keep an eye on your Internet quota and usage (up to 100GB quotas are supports). There is a comprehensive log file, too, which can easily be set up to be emailed to you daily.
For security, the Fritz!Box 7390 router has a built-in firewall, but it also has parental features. There is a child protection filter that allows you to enable or block Internet access on any PCs that are listed in the Web interface. This list is derived from all the computers that have been or are currently connected to your router. By enabling this feature, you can disable the Internet at certain times of the day and night. However, we couldn't find a URL or keyword blocking filter.
The phone features of the Fritz!Box 7390 are extensive. It can act as a base station for DECT phones, or you can simply plug in your favourite analogue phone to use with your VoIP account. We tested it with a supplied DECT cordless handset ($129) and found the call quality and range (up to 15m) to be very good. The Fritz!Box has comprehensive VoIP settings. It allows you to see what calls were made and received, how long they lasted, and it also shows missed calls. Furthermore, you can block or divert calls and keep a telephone book. Setting up a VoIP account isn't yet super-easy, so if you've never done this before then the configuration page will look a little daunting.
Overall, there's a lot to like about the high-end Fritz!Box 7390. The only negative thing we can say is that with so many features, it took us forever to review. Also, its interface can sometimes appear too busy, and some features can be a bit of a pain to set up initially (such as finding the port forwarding page, or figuring out the VoIP or VPN settings). We love all the monitoring features that are available, along with the fact that the Fritz!Box 7390 was so reliable during our tests.
Become a fan of PC World Australia on Facebook
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Google's Espresso networking tech takes SD-WAN to internet scale
- Netgear expands its Orbi Wi-Fi system into a product family, adding two less-expensive models
- Chips coming by June will herald the next generation of Wi-Fi
- Plume's 'routerless' mesh network blankets your home in Wi-Fi with an army of tiny pods
- Netgear Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router goes all the way to 11
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming motherboard review
- The simple RAM buying guide
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTUAT CoordinatorQLD
- CCSenior Systems EngineerQLD
- FTSenior System EngineerNSW
- CCData ArchitectWA
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst / Test CoordinatorQLD
- FTTest LeadACT
- TPChange ManagerVIC
- TPFront End .NET DeveloperQLD
- CCBusiness Change ManagerNSW
- FTTest AnalystVIC
- TPSenior Web DeveloperQLD
- TPIT Business AnalystNSW
- CCEnd to End Project ManagerVIC
- CCFront End DeveloperQLD
- FTXamarin DeveloperVIC
- TPDigital Process Business Analyst - Digital Transformation**NSW
- FTSenior Marketing Manager | Global Technology CompanyNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer - IP routing & switchingNSW
- FTSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- CCSenior Data EngineerVIC
- FTStorage EngineerSA
- FTSenior Business Analyst, Wealth ManagementNSW
- CCSolution Architect with Magento experience wantedVIC