Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b multifunction LED printer
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b review: A multifunction mono laser printer that's cheap and great for paper-heavy businesses
- High duty cycle and toner yield figures, low price (which includes a full toner cartridge)
- Only 150 sheets of paper input, initial page of a document prints slowly, scanner is only good for documents
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b is a multifunction mono LED printer that is excellent for producing large volumes of documents every month. Its paper input is a little small and the first page takes a short while to print, but otherwise it's a business printer that's built to a high standard.
Price$ 198.99 (AUD)
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b is a multifunction LED printer with a 20,000 page per month duty cycle and toner cartridges that last for 1000 A4 sheets. It's cheap and it includes scanning and copying capabilities, making it attractive for small businesses that need to digitise or duplicate documents.
Don't know which printer to buy? Use our printer finder wizard to pick the right model.
Learn how to pick the best printer for your home or business with our printer buying guide.
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b: Design and specifications
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b has a front-loading paper cartridge that holds 150 sheets and a 100-sheet output tray. These figures are a little low for the DocuPrint M205b's intended use as a business printer, but as long as you've got extra paper close to hand it shouldn't be a problem. The printer's 20,000 page per month duty cycle means it'll be able to handle small and medium businesses' needs with ease.
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b: Print speed, print quality, performance and toner yield
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b strengths are its speedy document printing and its high toner yields. The first page of a document takes an unimpressive eight seconds to print, but subsequent pages are printed quickly — we had no problems achieving Fuji Xerox's quoted speed of 24 pages per minute in Normal quality settings.
When using Normal quality settings, the Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b prints text clearly and with no visible fuzziness on edges. We printed down to 6pt text sizes with words still easily legible, while the edges of graphics and charts were straight and even.
The standard toner cartridge of the Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b is rated for 1000 A4 monochrome pages. This $59 cartridge has an ongoing running cost of 5.9 cents per page, but the $95 high yield cartridge lasts for 2200 prints — 4.3 cents per page. These prices are reasonably low for a $199 printer but not competitive with larger and more initially expensive laser printers.
The inbuilt flatbed scanner on the DocuPrint M205b is a 1200x1200dpi unit that's quick and quiet. It's not especially good for extracting fine image detail from photos but documents are captured quickly and at sufficient quality for OCR.
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b: Conclusion
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b is a cheap LED printer that's got good printing credentials — it's superior to a similarly priced inkjet like the Brother MFC-J415W in terms of its duty cycle, cartridge yields and print quality.
Become a fan of PC World Australia on Facebook
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- HP shutting down default FTP, Telnet access to network printers
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- The simple RAM buying guide
- MSI GE62 7RD Apache gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCSenior Systems EngineerQLD
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - TelcoVIC
- CCInfrastructure Test ManagerNSW
- FTSenior PHP Developer - SymfonyQLD
- FTSystems EngineerVIC
- FTSenior IT Project ManagerSA
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- TPTrim Helpdesk AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Teradata Developer/Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- CCConsultant - Hogan Health CheckQLD
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- CCSystems Analyst- Port MacquarieQLD
- FTSecurity Engineer (Cisco ASA) - Professional Services - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTSoftware Development ManagerACT
- PTThe job "Project Manager" is now ExpiredNSW
- TPIT Business AnalystNSW
- FTIT Field Services ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness Change ManagerNSW
- TPImplementation Planner | P90 |$1300/dayQLD
- CCSAP ISU Functional ConsultantVIC
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT Software & Primary HealthcareQLD
- FTProject Manager / Web DeveloperVIC
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW