Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b multifunction LED printer
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b review: A multifunction mono laser printer that's cheap and great for paper-heavy businesses
- High duty cycle and toner yield figures, low price (which includes a full toner cartridge)
- Only 150 sheets of paper input, initial page of a document prints slowly, scanner is only good for documents
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b is a multifunction mono LED printer that is excellent for producing large volumes of documents every month. Its paper input is a little small and the first page takes a short while to print, but otherwise it's a business printer that's built to a high standard.
Price$ 198.99 (AUD)
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b is a multifunction LED printer with a 20,000 page per month duty cycle and toner cartridges that last for 1000 A4 sheets. It's cheap and it includes scanning and copying capabilities, making it attractive for small businesses that need to digitise or duplicate documents.
Don't know which printer to buy? Use our printer finder wizard to pick the right model.
Learn how to pick the best printer for your home or business with our printer buying guide.
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b: Design and specifications
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b has a front-loading paper cartridge that holds 150 sheets and a 100-sheet output tray. These figures are a little low for the DocuPrint M205b's intended use as a business printer, but as long as you've got extra paper close to hand it shouldn't be a problem. The printer's 20,000 page per month duty cycle means it'll be able to handle small and medium businesses' needs with ease.
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b: Print speed, print quality, performance and toner yield
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b strengths are its speedy document printing and its high toner yields. The first page of a document takes an unimpressive eight seconds to print, but subsequent pages are printed quickly — we had no problems achieving Fuji Xerox's quoted speed of 24 pages per minute in Normal quality settings.
When using Normal quality settings, the Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b prints text clearly and with no visible fuzziness on edges. We printed down to 6pt text sizes with words still easily legible, while the edges of graphics and charts were straight and even.
The standard toner cartridge of the Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b is rated for 1000 A4 monochrome pages. This $59 cartridge has an ongoing running cost of 5.9 cents per page, but the $95 high yield cartridge lasts for 2200 prints — 4.3 cents per page. These prices are reasonably low for a $199 printer but not competitive with larger and more initially expensive laser printers.
The inbuilt flatbed scanner on the DocuPrint M205b is a 1200x1200dpi unit that's quick and quiet. It's not especially good for extracting fine image detail from photos but documents are captured quickly and at sufficient quality for OCR.
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b: Conclusion
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b is a cheap LED printer that's got good printing credentials — it's superior to a similarly priced inkjet like the Brother MFC-J415W in terms of its duty cycle, cartridge yields and print quality.
Become a fan of PC World Australia on Facebook
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 HTC U11 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Gigabyte Aero 15 corporate gaming laptop review
- 3 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 4 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- HP shutting down default FTP, Telnet access to network printers
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- MSI GL62M 7RDX gaming laptop review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTDevOps LeadNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA
- CCSalesforce ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperOther
- CC.Net DeveloperWA
- FTSolution Architect - SecurityVIC
- FTSenior Systems Engineer - Virtualisation and StorageVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst (Maximo)NSW
- FTSenior Development Expert – Adelaide Delivery CentreSA
- FTSolution Architect - SecurityNSW
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- FTSenior Front End DevelopersOther
- TPData Analyst/MungerVIC
- FTSenior Siebel Integrator/Developer - Canberra/MelbourneOther
- TPDevOps EngineerQLD
- FTWintel EngineerSA
- FTProject CoordinatorACT
- TPDemand Analysis ManagerNSW
- FTSoftware Development ManagerACT
- FTTransition Consultant - SMSF SoftwareOther
- CCWeb Applications SupportQLD
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- FTVoice Solution Engineer - Telecommunications (cisco)Other
- FTIntegration & BI Manager - C-levelNSW
- FTSenior Technical Consultant - RELOCATE TO CANBERRANSW